• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN7 Windscreen removal

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I want to remove the BN7's windscreen so that I can drill a small hole through the bottom of the dash to install a lift-the-dot stud immediately to the right of the rear-view mirror. My car had a woodscrew threaded stud that pulled loose because of force from the tonneau fitting that attaches there. I have a new stud with a machine thread that requires a through hole for installation. Not having a very small right-angle drive drill or a say 10" long 1/8" drill that would let me drill from the bottom, I think I need to get the windscreen off so I can drill from the top. I will also take the opportunity to re-ecure that pesky rear-view mirror. There are slotted screw visible on the windscreen mounts on either side of the car secured with nuts visible under the dash. The manual says there is also a fitting pins visible on the underside. I don't see those. Ditto the bolts heads the manual says will be exposed under the door pillars with the doors open. I know something is holding the windshield frame, as loosening the two visible slotted screws with nuts doesn't free the windscreen. Help!

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
This responds to my own post regards windscreen removal. If I had thought to examine the very detailed drawings in the Moss catalog, I could have seen the answer to my own question. This was a lesson for me, and I hope it helps others. Those drawings are very detailed and a great resource. Thanks, Moss!

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
If it were me I would look into an extension for the drill bit and try and drill from the bottom. You may end up opening up a can of worms removing the windshield.

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks, Rick. This is a fantastic source. For some reason I was unable to download the file, but I have recorded the address. Anyone who hasn't examined this file and wants to know exactly where every washer, etc., goes, this is the source.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, Rick. This is a fantastic source. For some reason I was unable to download the file, but I have recorded the address. Anyone who hasn't examined this file and wants to know exactly where every washer, etc., goes, this is the source.

I learned of the factory parts list when I was restoring my Bugeye in the late 1970s and early '80s. I was buying parts from a long time BMC dealer that allowed me to make a copy of their "Mechanical Service Parts List" and "Body Parts Service List" for Sprites. They were invaluable in restoring my Sprite and when I started the restoration of my BJ7 they were the first things I looked for. If you do a Google search, you can sometimes find a free download or, alternatively an eBay search will find a CD or an original copy.

Frankly, I don't know how you do a concours restoration without one. I've been a concours Sprite judge, and my manuals have been a final say as to what's original. Admittedly, there may have been some variance from the BMC lists to what was done in the factory, but it certainly is a great guide as to what was supposed to be correct.

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I found the windscreen removal pretty easy, though I enlisted a friend to lift it off. One wild card was a thin metal shim that dropped out of the right side when the windscreen lifted off. It is drilled for the two bolts in the door jam, and I will return it there when I reassemble. I removed the dash top--leather in my car's case--and quickly discovered that the lift-the-dot stud supplied by a UK firm was barely long enough to penetrate the wooden underlayment below the leather top. I could only get a few threads of engagement of the nut on the 10-32-threaded stud. I decided to fiberglass under and around the attaching nut to provide a more secure installation--if you drive with the passenger side of the tonneau in place, it puts a strong tug on the stud. After the fiberglass set up, I found that the stud still had some wobble. Not wanting to have to repeat the dash/windscreen removal process in the future, i cut away the fiberglass holding the nut, removed it, and drilled and tapped a piece of 3/8" round stock, cut off a threaded slice, installed it on the stud and re-fiberglassed the area a second time. This much larger "nut" provides a very strong. wobble-free installation. If I seem less than fastidious about my work on the car, which I think is a beautiful specimen, understand that the car has a Smitty Toyota conversion done by the PO, and the original box and overdrive are enjoying retirement in my garage. It will never be a concours car. Ditto the very nicely restored vinyl-covered seats that came with the car, recently replaced, including the runners, with a pair of aftermarket leather covered seats. These are beautiful. Originality is fine, but quality and serviceability are important to me. I drive this car.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Currently available "tenax" studs all have the same threaded shank length. The original stud that goes on the dash for the tonneau is longer by about a 1/4 inch. I found this out too when redoing the BN4, so I had to reuse the original one at the dash.