• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bn-2 Windshield Seal Paint Bleed

mrunci

Country flag
Folks,
Three years ago I completed a nut and bolt restoration of a BN2. Special care was given to sourcing parts from the most reliable resources available. This was especially true of all rubber components which reports on various forums have revealed can fail prematurely.
It was with considerable surprise then that I found after a year that when I tilted the windscreen down, a very dark brown/tan stain had been left in the paint on the shroud in a line matching exactly the out line of the rubber seal at the bottom of the screen. The car is ice blue metallic with clear coat. The stain was so stubborn that it was necessary to wet sand and polish the area to get it out. After about a year of having the windscreen down, the other day I raised it in anticipation of cooler weather to come. To my amazement once again I found a similar stain along there same outline, although this time it wasn't as dark and I was able to compound it out. What I found remarkable is that as readers will know, the seal does not actually touch the shroud when the screen is down. It merely hovers above it across the width of the car.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
I have placed a narrow band of felt between the seal and the shroud which hopefully will protect the paint through the next season. Is this likely heat-related?
Matt Runci

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Matt,
Can't say I have had that problem with the rubber seal black color bleeding onto the paint. One suggestion would be to put a one to two inch or so wide clear protective tape running the width of the windshield. The previous owner of my car had done that and worked fine, very hard to see it was there. I recently had mine repainted and did not reapply the tape. Now have minor scratching from the rubber seal that I will clean up and reapply a new strip of tape. This is the kind of clear plastic tape/covering sold by a few sources, Griot's Garage for one. Usually used on the front end for paint chips, etc.
Regards
Mike

OP
M

mrunci

Country flag
Thanks, Mike, that might just do the trick. Whatever I apply, whether in tape or spray form (that dries as a film) will provide the layer of protection that I need. I have found some limited information on other forums on rubber seals that bleed and discolor paint, but nothing in the British car world yet. The 100-4 tilting windscreen design provides an unusual application that exposes surfaces that have been in contact or near-contact with a rubber seal to the light of day in a fairly prominent position. Thanks again.
Matt

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I was going to buy the special clear tape that had been on prior to my recent repaint but the spray looks like it might be a better solution. The tape did leave a seam that although not too obvious, was visible if you looked for it. Good suggestion Rick !
Regards
Mike

OP
M

mrunci

Country flag
Rick:
The 3M Defender spray application looks as if it would work well on my car in the area between the front cockpit surround and the front edge of the rubber windshield seal - the area of contact when the screen is in it upright position. It's not exposed to unobstructed view at any time.
Unfortunately from what I've seen both the tape and the spray film would leave a visible seam line across the shroud in what would be a more visible forward location just aft of the opening of the engine compartment when the screen is tilted downward.
As this has been a painstaking restoration of a factory original 100M to concours standards I am reluctant to have a seam running across the shroud in plain view.
I may ultimately have no choice but to source another non-staining seal and then struggle :frown: to fit it to the screen.
The search goes on.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Cheers,
Matt

1956 100M

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
OP
M

mrunci

Country flag
Thanks very much. I am not familiar with that range of products, but I note from the website that they are now available in the US. I will contact their distributor in Ohio.
Cheers,
Matt

1956 100M