• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BMC Supplemental Tool Kit Bags

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had to look that one up to see what you were referencing and found Roger Moment's excellent exposition: https://www.austin-healey-stc.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/AHSTC-Tech1.1.pdf Doubt anyone is making one, but maybe there is enough info in the article to have one made up. Speaking of hen's teeth stuff, I know there was also a Continental spares kit that could be purchased in the UK for one travelling on the continent.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
He's asking about a "bag" and Moss does sell them.

My 100 came to me with an almost full set of tools and a proper jack and handle along with the original oilcloth-like bags which were so far gone that I bought replacements from Moss. Because the original bags were of blue--not black--material Roger Moment asked me to send them to him as evidence of "variants". I assume he still has them.

The Moss replacement bags, while not 100% correct, are good enough for non-concourse purposes. The tool box, assumedly in which to keep the bags--shown in Roger's article is a new one on me as well.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Ken Fleming of NC has one of these (an original BMC Supplemental Tool kit bag; not talking about the tool bag that came with the car for the car's tool kit) and may be knowledgeable of any repops available. I've ever heard of or seen any. Ken's in the Membership Directory.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Although I still have the original Jack and hammer, as I remember, the original tool roll was not very substantial with very few tools (a screw driver, plyer, and (2) double open ended wrenches). As I presume an act of cost savings, BMC's BJ tool provisioning differed from previous Healey models in quantity and selection and were long ago replaced by a more functional set of essential road tools.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Country flag
I had to look that one up to see what you were referencing and found Roger Moment's excellent exposition: https://www.austin-healey-stc.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/AHSTC-Tech1.1.pdf Doubt anyone is making one, but maybe there is enough info in the article to have one made up. Speaking of hen's teeth stuff, I know there was also a Continental spares kit that could be purchased in the UK for one travelling on the continent.
Continental Touring Kit; I hadn't heard of them either, but several years ago, I was given a couple of nearly complete ones for a Triumph Spitfire. Knowing how much I'd treasure having one for a Big Healey, I put the word out in the local (Ohio) British Car Club and eventually word got around and an owner contacted me. I don't remember what he offered me for them, but since I don't have them, it must've been acceptable!

IMG_3650-me.jpg

IMG_3658-me.jpg

There are several more pictures of the content here: https://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/382 As you'll see, they were quite comprehensive, covering anything from a burnt out bulb to a ruptured hose to a blown head gasket. I expect too that they were quite a bargain compared to sourcing the individual parts.

I hope the guy has used them as a catalyst to many conversations on the show field...

Country flag
Ten plus years ago I purchased a tool role from Harbor Freight that is a close match. It does not have the little pocket on the inside for the Lucas feeler gauge but lots of places for all the other tools. It has a wrap around tie to secure. It is made of heavy grade vinyl. I don't know if they still have them.

Country flag
Wow, that's impressive! The fact that the tools themselves look mint makes that quite the treasure. Lucky you!

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Very nice. Any idea of the year the kit is from? Does the brochure have a publication number/date?

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The BMC blanket is also übercool….

tristangleaves

Freshman Member
Country flag
Very nice. Any idea of the year the kit is from? Does the brochure have a publication number/date?
Date of the brochure is April 65, pub no, AKD 2221. There are two kits shown in my photo 97H 2100 early to approx Oct 66, then a later AKF 1596 kit. Have taken a picture of other BMC tool kit brochures.

Attachments

• BMC Tool brochures.jpg
    BMC Tool brochures.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 129