• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Blasting Cabinet

73Midget

Hello Everyone,

My next purchase will be a small standalone or bench top blasting cabinet and was looking for some input. I know Harbor Freight has a few but I have heard some bad things about them (the guns mostly, I guess a cabinet is a cabinet). I will not be blasting all the time but would like something I will be happy with. Is it possible to get something that will not break the first time I use it for around $250 or so? Any experience with the ones at HF? I am all for buying a cheap one and doing some home modification to make it better if that is a possibility.

Thanks,

Britishtools

Check the BCF affiliate Caswell Plating. The banners appear at random at the top of the page.

The have several to choose from. Once you get to caswell's site, click on "repair products" at the top of the page and look for Cyclone Sandblasters on the right hand side.

Don't forget to click the link at the top of the page though and support British Car Forum!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I bought a nice floor standing model at Tractor Supply.
It's a Clark. I got it for around $300. came with a light, and extra tips, and cling sheets for the window.
The only problem is that my 120V compressor can't keep up. Its only rated for 8 CFM and the cabinet wants 11 or 12. That pretty much means your gonna need a 220V compressor.
A bench top model uses a little less, but not much.
I am very happy with the quality of the Clark cabinet. I have used a Speedway series from a Homier sale before. They're ok, but I'm glad I sprung for the better cabinet.
I use glass beads in mine. they work well

Steve_S

Yoda
Anyone know of a collapsable cabinet? I really could use a blast cabinet but don't have the room to keep it set up all the time. I don't even have a place outside!

philman

Jedi Knight
i got a harbor freight cabinet. it was on sale and i had a 20% coupon. i also installed a vacuum port on the side to attach my shop vac. for the amount of use I put in it i wouldn't have spent more than $100 ($79) and it does the job for me -- of course I don't use it all the time.

OP
73Midget

73Midget

What model Harbor Freight cabinet do you have? There is one in the area so I may take a ride by this weekend. I also received a catalog from TP Tools & Equipment yesterday. It looks like they have some good deals.

philman

Jedi Knight
I got cabinet #42202. If you go to their website and get on their mailing list they will periodically email you discount coupons for $$'s off or %%'s off. Some tools I wouldn't buy there, but I dont see how you can go wrong with a metal cabinet (aside from the political issues). And I guess if you're not a professional or use it every day and decide that if the tool breaks you will just buy another, etc....

tlthorne

Jedi Hopeful
Greg, look for a used cabinet, TIP, i got one for less than 1/2 the retail price cause it did not work very well???
They wore out the media turning it to dust, cleaned old stuff out,put new in from the local lumber yard(yes real media)
just like new. I got a call from the guy asking if i liked how it worked? yep! then told him about the media, well lets say he learned a little lesson.