• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 to Le Mans. My first long trip ..

hitch

Freshman Member
Hi All,
having enjoyed reading many anecdotes of the trips people have made I thought I would share my last few days. I've made this trip almost every year since 1992 in my MGA 1600 and have many fond memories of blasting along the N138 (alas, however sweet the MGA is to drive it's bark is not backed up my much bite!) Enter stage right the BJ8 which I've had for 6 months having bought it via digital photos and emails from Virginia. As my previous postings about gunk in the rocker cover mentioned, this car had not really been exercised much since it was completely restored 18 years ago and this trip well and truly blew away the cobwebs.
It's a round trip of 700 miles and on the way down we only went on the Autoroute for about 100 miles with the rest being on secondary roads with lots of good driving bits and ample overtaking of the many trucks on the single lane carriageways. The temperature was up to 33 Celsius in France and I stayed at 85-90 mph and once or twice went up to about 110 where the car felt incredibly well planted. (I had just fitted new 72 spoke wheels with Fulda Y2000's 185 70 15 and had fitted recon rear shocks). Relative to the MGA the obvious appeal was the any gear acceleration and I found overtaking by dropping from 4th o/d to 4th an absolute joy. Frankly I was staggered by the acceleration at higher speeds and could do the whole trip again.
I think I managed about 190 - 220 miles per tank of petrol depending on the right foot. I will get round to working out how much oil it consumed in the next few days. Being left hand drive and knowing the road like the back of my hand it was easy to show a few faster cars the finer points of a road trip to Le Mans. Highlights had to be firstly overtaking a line of 2 911's a Caterham 7 and a Boxster in a perfectly safe fashion. It certainly served to wake them up and the friendly truck passing en masse continued for 30 odd miles. Second highlight was being overtaken on the motorway by a new Ford GT, a Ferrari F50 and a Lambo Diablo all doing over 160 mph. Whilst I imagine they were chancing their luck with the gendarmes I have on recent years been noting the locations of mobile speed traps and marked them in pen on my map, and on cue the little men in blue appeared. With so many modern and classic sports cars on the roads on the way there and back , I rate this as one of the best drives anywhere to the best race in the world.
(Biased of course but it beats the F! fiasco in Indianapolis)
Oh, by the way , it was good to see a Healey 100S right up with the leaders in the Le Mans Legends race as well as a few 100 M's. I'm not sure where the 100S finished but it seemed to be outpaced only by D types and C types.
So I hope you got an idea of how much like a kid in a toy shop I've been. Roll on 2006 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hitch,
Did you solve the gunk under the rocker cover problem? Was it just condensation? I am still getting some under my rocker cover after a new head gasket, but a pressure test on the radiator doesn't show a leak there and there is no oil in the coolant.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hitch-

Thanks for sharing your Healey trip highlights. Sounds just fantastic!

Did you caravan (camp) or take hotel accomodations at Le Mans? Vintage photos, the opening of the 1960's movie, "Le Mans" and recent photos make this to be yet another significant event not to miss at Le Mans. Details please. GONZO.

OP
H

hitch

Freshman Member
Hi Shorn
yes it was just built up condensation as people suggested and a series of good runs seems to have done the trick. I had the head torqued down and the problem seems to be gone!
The car ran at an indicated 190 deg average on a run

OP
H

hitch

Freshman Member
Gonzo,
we took our tents and camped inside the circuit near the Porsche curves. The camp sites have improved quite a bit and have showers etc, although they get pretty dusty. We went by bus / foot to watch the racing on the bit between the Ford chicane and Tetre Rouge corner and went by car to see the rest. The historic race beforehand was a real bonus as the front runners really did give it ten tenths. The sight of Stirling Moss with his characteristic "straight arms out " steering at the wheel of the same car that raced and I think won there all those years ago was epic, as was Johnny Herbert in the D type. The Corvettes did well beating the Aston Martins and the sound of the Corvettes is still throbbing in my ears. For the last few hours of the race we nipped over to the Chinese Restaurant on the Mulsanne Straight had a meal and then climbed a tree next to the straight to watch them go past at 200+ mph. The Panoz GT car looked pretty nice and sounded good too.
If you decide to visit it, let me know and I could write a book of tips of do's and don'ts ! Cheers Hitch

MotorHead67

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
(Biased of course but it beats the F! fiasco in Indianapolis)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sick over this. F1 was just starting to take hold here in the US. Now there will be even more NASCAR
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hitch:

Thanks for the offer. I'll be sure to contact you when we start making plans for our European vacation.

For auto aficionados like all of us here, the sights and sounds of Le Mans must be experience. GONZO

BEEJAY7

Jedi Warrior
Agree with everything said, a great run down through some very pretty parts of France to Le Mans.
I took my BJ7 for the third time and it ran superbly, even in the 4 Mile traffic holdups. Only problem I ran out of petrol on the motorway, (Healey gauges are great arn't they!), but a passing BJ8 stopped and gave me a gallon from his emergency container.
Highlight of the weekend was to watch Sir Stirling Moss at the wheel of a C Type Jaguar, in the Legends Race, in full 1950's racing gear.
Regards

Alan

curtis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The full results of the Le Mans Legends race can be seen on
www.motorracinglegends.com
I,too was there cheering on the Aston Martins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif The legends race was marvellous and so good to see the Healeys in action.
Curtis

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Thanks for the great report. I'm enormously jealous! My cousin goes every year (from the UK) and he's always at me to come along....one of these days...