• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best Spark Plugs for BJ8

CJP

Freshman Member
What would be the best spark plugs for me? I have a 1967 Austin-Healey 3000 Mark III, negative ground. I just order a PerTronix Ignitor, coil and rotor from Classic Garage. I have a radio. Thanks, Curt

Country flag
I've always been happy with NGK BP6ES (maybe you'd want BPR6ES for the radio suppression).

The Champions never seemed to *clean* themselves off after a period of idling, like stop & go traffic.

I recommend staying away from any of the hyped Platinum, Iridium, or younameitium. You just don't see the benefits in our cars, and may not last as long as plain old NGKs.

I like the NGKs and have been using them in British cars something just over thirty-six (>36) years. They're even fitted from the factory in my ///M Rdstrs.

OP
C

CJP

Freshman Member
Thanks, Randy that was the plug I was thinking about going with! You made it easy. I just ordered 6 on Ebay for 1.69 ea. Now what would be the best wires to go with my setup. Thanks again Curt

Country flag
I don't know, I make my own; no radio, so I use real wire! Moss catalogs a premium aftermarket set, and I think they're supression type...

Country flag
CJP said:
... what would be the best wires to go with my setup ...

If you're using a stock type distributor cap with the screw-in terminals use stock (or 'bumble-bee' striped) 7mm copper stranded wire. If you use 'modern,' wire-wound/silicone wire you'll develop a miss sooner or later.

As suggested, resistor plugs and/or resistor plug terminals will help suppress radio noise.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bob_Spidell said:
CJP said:
... what would be the best wires to go with my setup ...

If you're using a stock type distributor cap with the screw-in terminals use stock (or 'bumble-bee' striped) 7mm copper stranded wire. If you use 'modern,' wire-wound/silicone wire you'll develop a miss sooner or later.

As suggested, resistor plugs and/or resistor plug terminals will help suppress radio noise.

Bumble bee wire is solid core copper wire and will generally give lots of radio noise. I'm not sure even resistor plugs would quiet it.

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
Bosch style wire ends are available in several ohm ratings from 2-5.5, Audi,VW&BMW use them, w/solid core wire, no static. Genos2

OP
C

CJP

Freshman Member
Has anyone had a problem with the radio noise using Bumble bee wire. If so what did you do? -- Thanks Curt

OP
C

CJP

Freshman Member
Our these the caps to get? Thanks Curt

Click Image to Enlarge Ign Wire Connector
Brand: Bosch
Part # W0133-1636202

Product Weight: 0.06 lb
Minimum Order Quantity: 1
Leaves Warehouse: by Midnight Tuesday

MSRP: $14.96 Your Price: $7.15

Country flag
CJP what image do we click on? My experience with the plug caps I got from Moss is that they don't snap on tight to make a good connection. Jeff at Advanced Distributor made me a set of new wires with his connectors that really have a firm contact. He had to put them on the wires with a special tool.

Country flag
I've always been happy with NGK BP6ES (maybe you'd want BPR6ES for the radio suppression).

The Champions never seemed to *clean* themselves off after a period of idling, like stop & go traffic.

I recommend staying away from any of the hyped Platinum, Iridium, or younameitium. You just don't see the benefits in our cars, and may not last as long as plain old NGKs.

I like the NGKs and have been using them in British cars something just over thirty-six (>36) years. They're even fitted from the factory in my ///M Rdstrs.
My local Advance Auto Parts store does not have NGK BP6ES plugs, only BPR6EY- would those work? $4 each.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Whatever unsuppressed plug you choose go with Bosch plug ends.
this will ensure that unsuppressed plug wire will not cause you a noise problem

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Do an internet search for "BP6ES" They are available from Amazon, NAPA, Walmart, eBay, Summit Racing, Grainger, and lots of other suppliers. They are what I've always used and never had trouble finding them.

Country flag
Supposedly, some of the Japanese brands--esp. NGK--are being counterfeited by you-know-who. The upside of running Champions is I doubt anybody would bother counterfeiting them. FWIW, Champion is the go-to brand for aircraft piston engines (both massive electrode and fine-wire).

If your plugs are fouling you might have the wrong heat range (and/or you're burning oil). Champion RN12YC have served me well for decades (I bought a bunch at Pep Boys for $1ea a few years ago). IIRC, they have about 15KOhm resistance.