• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Seat back angle

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
When I first drove my 66BJ8, I noticed that the seat back angle seemed to feel a bit too forward. Yesterday I drove a different BJ8, and it felt the same. The owner agreed, and said that this is a long known problem. He suggested that some owners have solved the issue by shaving a bit off the bottom of the seat back, to allow it to recline a bit more. A search of this forum revealed no posts on the subject. Any thoughts?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Cutlass,
I think shaving the wood spacers is what some people have done. Since they are only something like 3/8” thick, you may only get a couple degrees of recline (maybe make a thicker spacer?). I suppose the bottom of the seat back could be shaved, but it wouldn’t be easy going back if too much was taken off.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cutlass said:
When I first drove my 66BJ8, I noticed that the seat back angle seemed to feel a bit too forward. Yesterday I drove a different BJ8, and it felt the same. The owner agreed, and said that this is a long known problem. He suggested that some owners have solved the issue by shaving a bit off the bottom of the seat back, to allow it to recline a bit more. A search of this forum revealed no posts on the subject. Any thoughts?

Hi Cutlass, that information you were given can be filed under the heading of "Irish Whispers" The seat back is all metal and would require the removal of upholstery in that area and refitting after cutting. Further, if the seat inclination is changed it will impact the drop down luggage carrier causing the upholstery on the seat back to abrade. Course now if you be "short" you might get away with it.----Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, Keoke. I knew that the seat back was steel, and would require modifying the upholstery. The luggage tray proximity concerned me also. I'm six feet tall, so would have to have the seat pretty far back. I just wondered if this issue had been actually addressed before with practical suggestions.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Practicle suggestion: /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif
------------------------------------------Ferget it!--Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Cutlass -

On my BJ8 I put in a couple hardwood spacers on top of the seat rails. They are wedge shaped and are 1" high in the front going to a point at the back end. These spacers recline the seat probably ~ 5 deg, but it makes a world of difference.

The only (minor) challenge is to come up with some creative ways to connect the seat to the rail through the spacer... but if you have basic shop skills you'll figure something out.

I bought the wood at home depot, I think they were just some oak trip pieces I cut to my needs with an electric jig saw.

The whole set up makes the Healey substantially more comfortable to sit in.

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, Alan. That sounds a lot more promising than altering the seat back, and carries the advantage of being reversible. Do you have problems with hitting the rear shelf with the seat back? What about tall drivers?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Cutlass,
If your the only one driving the car, then maybe removing the slide track may help. You can wedge up the front of the seat pan and bolt the back of the seat pan to the floor.

It may take a little creative work with some metal flat bars that will allow you to use the 6 bolts that used to hold the seat rail to hold the new wedge you make. That wedge will bolt into the seat pan.

You can play with the angle so it will not touch the rear shelf. This may also help you see out the windshield at a lower level. Bonus...that perfect haircut may not rub against the convertible top.

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Hair is becoming less and less of an issue with me. Back comfort is more and more an issue. Thanks for the suggestion. Car is in the paint shop now. I figure about another year before launch.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Cutlass -

I'm 6'1" tall. The reclining makes the car better for me because I am tall.

It takes some getting used to at first because the steering wheel will interfere with your legs just a bit more, but you get used to it in about 10 minutes of driving.

Yes, the seat interferes with the rear shelf when down, but only very very slightly. It interferes so little its not a problem, but frankly I keep the shelf up 95% of the time anyway.

Country flag
What a PO did on my seats was clever. He drilled another hole where the chrome nuts are about one inch lower and moved the pivit point down. This allowed for a greater angle. I went back to the original hole when I re-did the seats. I use a black pillow now cause the new foam at the top is too thick and forces my body forward there, arching my back. I should have left it alone and I don't want to make more holes in the new material.

MotorHead67

Jedi Hopeful
Say Tahoe,
Were your seats done by Heritage? I have the same problem with mine. Shame to spend all that money and end up with a pretty seat but an aching back.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
---Well TH, ifin it be so clever why didn't you jes let it alone??---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif