• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 gear shift thread

mdw

Freshman Member
Trying to upgrade my gear shift knob on 1964 BJ8. have one picked out but supplier wants to confirm thread size. Can anyone confirm thread size for me, it is clearly coarse but I can not find the size?
Any help would be appreciated.
mdw

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
MDW,

OK I went out to the garage in the deep freeze back here in eastern Ontario, unscrewed the gearshift knob on my BJ8, pulled out my pitch gauge, and measured the gearshift threads. Mine's a 16. The knob is one of those fancy walnut jobs to replace the original black one...did I mention how cold it was?

Boy, the things we'll do for a fellow countryman....

Cheers
Dave

OP
mdw

mdw

Freshman Member
MDW,

OK I went out to the garage in the deep freeze back here in eastern Ontario, unscrewed the gearshift knob on my BJ8, pulled out my pitch gauge, and measured the gearshift threads. Mine's a 16. The knob is one of those fancy walnut jobs to replace the original black one...did I mention how cold it was?

Boy, the things we'll do for a fellow countryman....

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave, greatly appreciated. Now tomorrow,when its light, can you tell me the size of the thread? 3/8" or a 1/2'' or 9/16? By the way its bloody cold out here as well!
Cheers
Michael

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Michael,

Yep - it fit nicely on a 3/8" NC (National Coarse) 16 tap, both on the original black knob and the snazzy walnut one.

Cheers
Dave

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Speaking of gear knobs, my son gave me one of the fancy walnut ones from Moss a few Christmases ago. I had used the original black knob for the past 30 years and was very surprised how different and better the new one felt. If someone had told me changing shift knobs would make that much difference to how the car felt to drive, I would have said they were crazy. But it really does. Now I don't mean the car is faster, handles better, gets more miles per gallon, or even shifts better, but it does, in some way, feel better to drive. Go figure. Spend $25 and try it yourself. Maybe a leather covered one would even be better.

Back in the mid-sixties, I had an aftermarket walnut gear shift knob with an aluminum section sandwiched in the middle. Much like a wood rim steering wheel. Someone took took it and I've never seen another since. Any one remember those?

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It's just like Rob says, a big difference in driving feel just by changing a gear shift knob. I had the same experience around 1979 when I went to a LeCarra leather rimmed steering wheel on my 100-6. It felt like a different car.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Speaking of gear knobs, my son gave me one of the fancy walnut ones from Moss a few Christmases ago. I had used the original black knob for the past 30 years and was very surprised how different and better the new one felt. If someone had told me changing shift knobs would make that much difference to how the car felt to drive, I would have said they were crazy. But it really does. Now I don't mean the car is faster, handles better, gets more miles per gallon, or even shifts better, but it does, in some way, feel better to drive. Go figure. Spend $25 and try it yourself. Maybe a leather covered one would even be better.

I would never have guessed this, although I am disappointed to hear that it doesn't make the car faster, handle better, or get more miles to the gallon. I kinda like my old black knob, but now I'm curious to try one.