• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Flip top gas cap conversion

Hokie_Healey

Freshman Member
I have restored the trunk of my BJ8, mats, gas tank, new wiring etc. and would like to convert the gas cap to a nice chrome flip top. There are numerous types including an Aston which is just a cap ($169 @ Moss). A club member suggested the TR4 cap would fit however after purchasing I found the neck to be somewhat less than the 2-1/4" required. Any suggestions?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI HH, How about an additional rubber hose to comphensate for the different diameters?---Fwiw---Keoke

today i perchased a very original looking locking gas cap for my bj7,cost $28.00 i think moss has the same exact one for$39.95 it also can be easily fit by either brazing,or adding the rubber hose, beware,use the correct type rubber if you go that way,i live in connecticut and just minutes ago bought a 6" piece of fuel hose to change mine,it cost $18.00 so if you use it just buy what you need.i like the look of the one your using,actually owned several triumphs with this cap,i eventually changed to the same one only locking after an insodend having to do with a much P.O.girlfriend and a box of suger,i cought it befor i started the engine,but will forever put the lockers on mine.
good luck.

Country flag
I used some kind of Triumph cap on mine. The neck is the same diameter as the Healey's filler pipe and I just used the same kind of rubber connector as original. The wound-wire clamp (sourced from an MGB) is going to be a bear to position/tighten, but once in place it has been trouble-free.

rfh_003.jpg

fm_003.jpg

fm_005.jpg

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I used an Aston aluminum flip top cap from SC parts in England. Cut the original cap fitting off the pipe with a dremel tool, flipped the pipe arounf and had a radiator shop solder the brass threaded ring for the Aston cap onto the fule pipe. Looks great! Very pleased with the result.

Lin Rose
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Attachments

• 121731-Fueltubecutoff.jpg
    121731-Fueltubecutoff.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 151

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
A company in FLorida sells the original Enots gas caps from England in both the Aston style and the Monza style. Their name is Mocal Oil Systems. I usually find them by running a Yahoo search for "aston cap". I have one on my car and love it. If I remember their price is about $60-70 for the cap and another $5 for an aluminum threaded collar.

if you cut the pipe to the correct length[at the top]you are able to clamp the new cap flange first outside the car ,slide it up into the fender,then slide it back down into the loosened hose at the tank end,adjust and tighted tank hose clams for correct height,trying to fit and tighten the flange clamp while its behind the trunk bulkhead?not fun.took me 20 minutes as described.good luck

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm looking to get an Aston cap by Mocal, but can anyone tell me what size is needed to fit a BJ8? I want to use the push on threaded flange so I don't have to cut or alter the original opening (just in case). Thanks.

adamb

Now have some Aston fuel caps made by mocal and brass adapters available for sale
Send me a email for more details
Adamb

Attachments

• 167102-DSCF0815.JPG
    167102-DSCF0815.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 220

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Re: BJ8 Flip top gas cap conversion caution

I have the Triumph cap on my BJ8. But a warning to check for clearance with your hardtop, if you have one. Especially aftermarkets like Parrish.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I bought my mocal Aston cap from Adam and couldn't be happier with it or the service I received.

But I have two questions. First, which way should the cap be oriented when installed. Second, the collar fits over the original opening, but needs a means to adhere it to the pipe. The recommended methods are solder, weld or epoxy. I would like to make sure it holds well, but would also like to be able to remove it if necessary someday. Any ideas what the best method would be? Thanks.

adamb

Had a word with a few restorers and they say the best way is to get it soldered on
Hope this helps
Adam

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Thanks Adam. Did they say anything about which direction the flip should go? Once I install this top, it's not going anywhere so I really want to make sure I get it right the first time.

Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Adam. Did they say anything about which direction the flip should go? Once I install this top, it's not going anywhere so I really want to make sure I get it right the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I put mine at 45 degrees; it flips/stays open with one touch so you can add gas without hassle. Since this is purely an aftermarket piece, I can't see how any position would be wrong...

I too am using a Triumph cap with a rubber connector to the original pipe.

rfh_003.jpg