• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Convertible Top repair

sjgcpa

Country flag
The zipper to the rear window of my convertible top broke. It appears the only way to fix it is to sew a new zipper into the top. Has anyone ever done this with any luck? In addition, I know installation of a new top is a job, but what about reinstalling an existing top? The current top is in great shape (other than the zipper) and it is about 13 years old. How hard should it be reinstalling the top? Seems like it should be easy since it is already stretched and fitted. However, past experience tells me nothing is easy.

Thanks

Steve

AHRick

Freshman Member
Should be well within the capability of an auto upholstery shop. I had this done on my 1st BJ8 when I bought it and drove with it for 4 years before I stupidly sold the car in 1980. They could sew in new rear window plastic at the same time if yours is aging (while your up). Won't be electrically fused but should be quite serviceable.

OP
S

sjgcpa

Country flag
I would prefer to do it myself. I am afraid the labor times the rate will eat me alive. I am told the installation of a new top is 7 hours. Seems it should come off easy and go back on easy since it has been previously installed.

AHRick

Freshman Member
Biggest problem would be geting a home machine to handle the heaviness of the fabric and thread. Most are not really capable of doing a good job on stuff this heavy. This is probably in the 99th percentile of what the typical home machine is designed for. Also a problem if you've not done any sewing. Zippers are among the hardest things to sew. Might want to consider taking out and re-installing the top yourself and having the sewing done by someone that does that sort of thing all day, like an auto uphosterer or a sailmaker. A distant second best would be having access to that sort of machine. Most home machines will either bog done and have to have the end wheel turned by hand for much of the length, or they will be inconsistant on the tension on the thread and have the thread intersection not buried in the fabric, or they will vary in the stitch length and actual tightness of the stitch. This is not including the difficulty with having the stitching evenly located all along the length of where its applied.
More power to you.
If you are going to go ahead youself, get lots of scraps and practice ahead of time, then stitch things by hand in a contrasting thread in a lot of areas that you can see to remove later and then put the final stitching in with the machine.