• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ7 Austin healey exhaust problem

brianoakley

Freshman Member
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and i was wondering if anyone has had this problem. i have a 1963 BJ7 and i ave been having trouble with the exhaust leaking right where 2 tubes coming down to the muffler are connected. one of the pipes connect fine, but the other pipe seems to be an inch shorter. it is still able to slide on, but not far enough to totall seal it up. the part number is 31 "610-104" FRONT PIPE, R/H, mild steel. there is a picture on moss motors https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=28861

has anyone had this problem before? i can take pictures of it if you guys are having trouble picturing it.
Thanks!!!

tgs40ford

Freshman Member
Brain, I just bought the same parts from the same place and had to have the front pipe re-bent just slighly in order for it to line up with the rear pipe. After having that done they were the same length. They front pipe was hanging down about 3/4" to 1" lower than the rear pipe at the muffler. I could have made it work with the flexable pipe but muffler and pipe to ground clearance is very important with these cars as you may already know.I still had to work at getting both new pipes to slide into the muffler all the way to seal properly. I used cloth based sand paper and sanded on the muffler inlet pipes until they mated and fit correctly. I also used a brake hone to cleanup the inside of the new down pipes. Its a very close fit. You could have the muffler shop exspand the inside of the new pipes but your taking a chance that they will be too big unless you take the muffler with you to do that. It is 42 miles to the nearest muffler shop for me so i did it the slow way. I use the wrape around band clamps in place of the standard american muffler clamps. They seal better and there is more clearance as well. Good luck. Tate

Country flag
TGS40ford: I *just* moved to Parrish (dangerously close to the Ellenton Premium Outlet Mall...) this past weekend. Are you a member of the Suncoast British Car Club? I just found out about them this morning, and will submit an application once I can find & connect my printer...

I've had BN6L-942 for just over thirty-four (>34) years.

OP
B

brianoakley

Freshman Member
hey thank you for the comments, i am gonna try to post pictures of what im talking about, and what im gonna do to fix it, unless yall can think of a better way to do it!
thanks,
brian

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Brian

You gotta buy the right parts and put 'em in the correct place. :banana:

Seriously, if swapping them around does not work, get back to your supplier and give them heck.

However.

If it came that way with the car, then as a suggestion - find some one to weld a couple of inches on to the offending part.

Mine fit well but still leak. I have taken every thing off to replace the floor and sills but will put them back with some sort of exhaust sealer.

best of luck

:cheers:

Bob

tgs40ford

Freshman Member
Randy,
Welcome to SW Florida. I just live a few miles south of you out near Myakka State Park in Sarasota.Lived here most of my life. I have a 62 BT7 (driver) that i just bought a few weeks ago, and no i'm not a member of the local club yet. The 62 has a few issues but nothing too bad. I have owned several AHs but none recently, mostly flathead fords. I have been looking for my original 62 AH 3000 for over 10 years and have never found it. I owned it in 1963 while in school but sold it when i went in the Air Force. Your new home looks very nice. I have gators in my lake all the time. They will not normally bother much and will usally avoid humans. As soon as they fish the lake out they will leave.
Tate 941 650 9004