• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Better just start a new topic: Repop Hardtops

Shealey

Jedi Trainee
I found my Hardtop topic starting to morph into something else so I thought I would start over.

After reading the responces to my questions about hardtop availability I began to realize a hard top is most likely not in our future. My wife wants to drive this car every day to work this summer. Although it's very nice here in the summer, the temps down town can be very cool in the mornings. And a hard top may be a nice option here on most days.

I thought I would fly a trial ballon by you guys. I wanted to gauge interest in a repopped hardtop.

I'm thinking I would like to have a hard top that closer resembles the soft top. I think I will easily be able to make a fibre glas top and most likely I would cover it in vinyl. I'm not sure I would have it pop up as high as a soft top. I was thinking of something a little more arrow.

Anyone else want one?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll pop in an opinion here. I'm not a hardtop fan myself, since you have to store them when not in use. I'd recommend trying the soft top and side screens first, you may find them to be snug enough for your use. I've driven the Tunebug in cool early mornings with the top and sidecreens on (and no heater) and been very comfy.

Just my 2 cents. You might want to search around and see if any of the folks who currently make fiberglass parts (Speedwell, etc) are reproducing hard tops.

On the other hand, a custom designed top might be a pretty neat thing to have, and would probably be a fun project if you have the skills.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
A good tonneau (had to look up the spelling) cover is something that keeps you warm on marginal days and offers a little more security when parked. On a bugeye you can get one that covers the same area as the soft top or one that only covers the passenger area. So, the topic goes in another direction.

bugimike

Yoda
A tonneau was all I had in the old days for my BE in the great white north. It kept the snow out of the cockpit when parked and, used solo (covering the Passenger seat), was quite effective in keeping a layer of warmth down around the feet and waist!! BUT I was a crazy teen back then too!! In the beginning, I used to "camp" at the Glen by flopping the seats forward and sleeping with my head on a seat-back and curled up in the boot, all under the tonneau of course to either keep out the dew or rain!

Morris

Yoda
I want an Ashley GT style hard top. Can you make on of those? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif