• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Best Year for TR6; Preferred over TR250?

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
As the Subject Line might indicate, I'm being asked what the best year is for a TR6, and whether a good TR250 might compare.

Anything to watch out for?

TR6 v.s. TR4A?

TR6 v.s. TR3?

For a 65 year old guy with motorcycles, trucks and a very boring Jaguar sedan?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Randall said it well, the difference between the TR4A, TR250 and TR6 is more about the looks than anything else, pick the one you like the looks of the best, not much difference underneath, the 4 cylinder and USA spec 6 make about the same power, the six is a little quieter and smoother, but I personally think the smoothness difference has been greatly exaggerated.

The TR3 (never had one myself, but my brother has had one for 30 years, I have driven it many times and gone with him on long trips in it) is a much more involving ride, more wind, more bumps, more noise. For some it is invigorating and if some vintage sports car experience is good, more is better, and you get more with side curtain TR, for some too much of the aforesaid wind bumps and noise.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There KVH,

My $.02.

I`ve owned (4) TR3 & TR3A. I love the low cut doors & simply the profile curves of the fenders, sleek swept back windscreen, great exhaust note with stock exhaust, sidescreen cars are simply "Cool" and nostaglic in looks, performance & "No" creature comforts. Lots of "Sex Appeal"!!!

Having owned (2) TR4 & TR4A; They are a blast to drive, plenty of torque & similar to TR3 performance levels. The "Solid Axle" TR4s ride harsher but handle in the twisty`s better than the "IRS" models. "Squared Off" body style vs. TR3 sensious curves just don`t compare in curb appeal. Real "Roll-Up" windows & Top that folds Up & Down adds some "Creature Comforts" for a more civilized ride especially for the ladies.

I had (2) TR6s (`72 & `73). The 6 cyl. has a smoother, more subdued feel, sound etc vs. TR3 & TR4. It has a "Curb Appeal" of a "Triumph Muscle Car" (In my opinion only). Again, more "Creature Comforts" etc etc than the TR3, 4 or 250. Personally I liked the "`73 best due to "Low Back Seats" vs. the "High Back" protruding seats(Simply a cleaner look). The gauges in the `73 look nicer with the "Chrome Bezels" vs. "Blacked Out" bezels on previous years. A nice feature is the `73 is the last year for the "Chrome Bumper" TR6s.

Thats a whole lot of opinion out of me.

Have Fun.

Russ

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I've owned most of them...TR3s, TR4s, TR4As, TR6s...no TR250. My personal favorites are the TR3s and the early TR4s, while they were still a bit raw. No IRS, no wooden dash and a top that got stowed in the boot. I currently own a TR3, but if I added another TR, it would be an early TR4.

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I dunno. Much of the comparison is a matter of personal preference. I started with a TR3a in 1962 at the age of 18. Comfort wasn't even a consideration then, but now I as approach 70, it is. Until about 2000, I supported a Tr3 and TR6, but decided to sell the 3 because it wasn't getting much use and was the source of spousal complaints.
In terms of problem areas, the 3 provided much less entertainment than the 6. However, the "problem areas" of the 6 (thrust washers, clutch disengagement, fragile rear hubs, and broken diff mounts) can be remedied).
The 6 motor is smoother and quieter than the 4 cyl., but power is pretty similar.
I like the 6 seats with adjustable rake, but dislike the forward hinge feature that makes access to the area behind the seats a hassle. I think the zippered rear window of the 6 top is a neat idea as it provides lots of fresh air on warm weather trips without being broiled by the sun. Using the hardtop when temps are over 80deg made me appreciate that feature.
Traveling any distance with the 3 means the side curtains either remain in place or the luggage capacity is restricted.
I suppose a straight axle TR4a would provide most of the best of both worlds, but at this age I will stick to the 6. In terms of the comparison of the various years of the 6, I prefer the earlier ones with the blacked out instrument bezels, chrome bumpers, and high back seats. I also prefer the body style of the 6 over the 4 or 250.
Berry

Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
KVH -- Is your friend here in Tucson? If he is I can help set up a trial fitting and possibly test drives in an assortment of TRs. In addition, there are both a TR3A and a TR6 for sale locally that I have had a look at.

One decided advantage of the TR6 may be that a very fine example is possibly easier to find and often for reasonable money. The prices (at least the asking prices) of the early TRs has gotten a bit out of hand of late.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Geo, thanks, I'm sending him your post. I really think he wants one; but I'm hearing his wife said something about a new house first, meaning he'll likely be hunting for cars and three car garages at the same time.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Or hunting for a new wife. He ideally should at least sit in all of em for a few minutes even if he doesn't get to drive them. Tell you a lot.