• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Best way to remove '80 TR7 starter?

atikovi

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have not driven the car in over a year due to a starter problem. When I turn the key the solenoid engages but the starter motor won't spin. Previously if I hit the key 5 or ten times it would eventually turn over but now, nothing. I assume contacts in the solenoid are dirty. What is best way to remove the starter? From the top or from below? What do I have to disconnect for access?

philman

Jedi Knight
Underneath. You have to take the drop part of the exhauset system and a brace to the left side of tranny to get decent access to it. At least on my '76 and '81 that was my experience. Give yourself a couple hours. The flange between the exhaust manifold and collector pipe has a difficlult bolt because of the angle and where it is. I used a couple of extensions on my impact wrench so because there is no room near the bolt in the engine bay.

BTW, my '76 just started doing it again. this time I think I'll drob the engine out and replace it with one of my v8's.

G

Before you do that and I don't know if it is too late, but a couple of love taps on the starter housing with a hammer sometimes frees them up. Starters for some reason rust from the inside out. Possibly because I think they only paint the outside of the case.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K TR2/3/3A What is best way to remove old nylon/rubber bush 525-020 from steering box shaft? Triumph 5
L Best Polish to remove surface scratches Austin Healey 12
C TR4/4A Best way to remove transmission fill port? Triumph 8
bighealeysource Best way to remove dried polishing compound Austin Healey 10
J TR2/3/3A What is the best way to remove and replace carb shaft bushings. Triumph 4
MG Lily Best way to safely remove minor surface rust? Restoration & Tools 5
bighealeysource Best way to remove very fine scratches in chrome windshield frame Restoration & Tools 2
bighealeysource Best way to remove very fine scratches in chrome windshield frame Austin Healey 1
G Best way to remove accelerator bar part # 106762 Triumph 3
1 Best way to remove this snapped head exhaust stud? MG 13
bighealeysource Best way to remove aluminum smudge from shut face Austin Healey 1
I What is the best way to remove chrome? Spridgets 7
T How best to remove these a-arm bushings again? Triumph 5
I What is the best way to remove carbon? Triumph 23
T Best way to remove dents? Jaguar 4
C Best way to remove seam sealer? Triumph 5
beaulieu best tool to remove old bondo ? Restoration & Tools 14
78Z Best way to remove paint from aluminum rim? Restoration & Tools 7
mctriumph TR2/3/3A the best kinda folks Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A What is the best way to prevent the crank from turning ........ Triumph 27
tr6nitjulius For Sale "SOLD" Winter projects: Upgrades 4Sale or Reasonable Best Offer Triumph Classifieds 0
AngliaGT MGB-GT The Best Laid Plans....... MG 3
69MGC T-Series Best Technique to Clean a Canvas Top MG 3
Michael Oritt Best Seat Trim Adhesive Austin Healey 8
J Best Aluminum Fenders? Austin Healey 3
1 TR2/3/3A Best Rustproofing for inside of body. Triumph 7
G Best fuel option for a 72 Midget Spridgets 5
Celtic 77 MGB Looking for best info regarding throttle cable replacement. MG 16
JPSmit some days your best tool is a credit card Spridgets 2
dripdripdrip TR2/3/3A Best place for tonneau & hood stick covers? Triumph 2
D The best place to get shocks rebuilt. Spridgets 8
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Advice for which head gasket material is best Triumph 8
BoyRacer Best-Sounding Muffler - Stainless Steel or Mild Steel? Austin Healey 9
W Best source for Bugeye front shocks Spridgets 3
J For Sale For Sale - 2x TR6 seats in red vinyl - Best Offer! Triumph Classifieds 1
Bob Claffie Best cruise in of the year Spotted 8
longbridgehealey Best way in Austin Healey 2
B TR4/4A What really is the best clutch/bearing combo Triumph 4
I Best glue for rubber door panels? Spridgets 3
N Best cam choice??? Spridgets 5
R TR2/3/3A Best day ever [so far] Triumph 1
C How best to restore red script on valve cover? Austin Healey 7
F Best $25 I've ever spent on my Healey - 2019 Austin Healey Concours Guidelines Austin Healey 0
FlyingCat Spitfire Which carburetor is the best? Triumph 9
T TR2/3/3A Where is best spot to check temp with infrared thermometer? Triumph 17
D Best little tube bender Restoration & Tools 8
N Best lube for a Datsun gearbox?? Spridgets 6
Kleykamp For Sale 1978 MG Midget Best Offer Spridgets Classified 0
DornTRoriginal TR2/3/3A Electrical Wiring Best Practices Triumph 13
I General TR Best car cover Triumph 8