• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best Seat Belts option for Bugeye?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My apologies if this has been beaten to death, but as a newbie I tried a search and didn't turn up much.

So I just acquired a restored '59 Bugeye and it does not have any seatbelts! Now THERE'S a stock car. :yesnod: Anyway, I guess I'm contemplating options. My first thought was to get a 3-point retractable system (such as at Moss for about $100 or on eBay for less but not as certain about adaptation), or a more vintage 2-point lap-belt affair. The car has no roll-bar.

I'd appreciate suggestions for: type, where to obtain and mounting recommendations. I saw a retractable unit with the coil system on the rear wheel well but wasn't sure about the other points. Also, I'm presuming that one can just drill holes and use larger fender washers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for reading and replying.
- Mark (in Portland, OR)

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Re: Best Seat Belts option for Bugeye

Slightly embarrassing. I searched for "seat belt" as 2 words and now I see a post or two for "seatbelt." That written, I'll stand by those questions. Thanks.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I bought a set of "Flaming Red" belts from Seatbeltsplus.com, their # 1800-60. The color matches my seats well.
The normal place to mount is through the floor on the outside bolts, and through the tunnel on the inside ones. I had to use shorter bolts in the tunnel as they would hit the driveshaft. I could have installed them from the inside of the tunnel to the passenger compartment, but I did not like the look. As a transportation engineer, I should have put in three point belts, but I figure if I get hit in the BE, I will probably be DOI.
Scott in CA

Attachments

• 26823.jpg
    26823.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 407

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I bought the same ones from Moss. Moss offers short and long versions. The short ones are more than long enough. I mounted both of mine in floor, in the rearmost corners of the floor well. The washers they send are about 3" in diameter, Make sure you drill where they will fit flush to the bottom of the car.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Miss Agatha has the Moss ones as well.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

smaceng said:
I bought a set of "Flaming Red" belts from Seatbeltsplus.com, their # 1800-60. The color matches my seats well.
The normal place to mount is through the floor on the outside bolts, and through the tunnel on the inside ones. I had to use shorter bolts in the tunnel as they would hit the driveshaft. I could have installed them from the inside of the tunnel to the passenger compartment, but I did not like the look. As a transportation engineer, I should have put in three point belts, but I figure if I get hit in the BE, I will probably be DOI.
Scott in CA

Thanks all for the quick and great advice! A follow-up, though. IF one considered bolting through (into) the drive-shaft tunnel, can one really get in there with ease? I suppose it's a short reach.
- Mark

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Just went to www.seatbeltsplus.com and, wow, do they have a lot (and at very reasonable prices!!! Thanks Scott.
- Mark

RickB

Yoda

I bought the flaming red 3 point with chrome aircraft hardware for my MK2 Sprite.
They look good on my black seats with the red piping.
Red car, black interior with red piping - it really stands out.
The belts work great and are comfortable and look like they fit the car.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

wondering... which way would I prefer leaving this earth.. hog tied straight up in my drivers seat.. then imploded by a steering column to the chest on a head on... or take my chances by being extracated from my love and joy... Probably a quick death might be preferred...

RickB

Yoda

After one of my big "flaming wreckage" car accidents (in my youth) the Alaska State Trooper making the report of the scene told me something that I remember every time I get in a car.

He said: "I've been to a lot of accidents, and I've never unbuckled a dead man."

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Unfortunately, based on my experience as an accident investigator, there are some accidents that a seat belt will not save you.
Scott in CA

RickB

Yoda

smaceng said:
Unfortunately, based on my experience as an accident investigator, there are some accidents that a seat belt will not save you.
Scott in CA

Yeah, I haven't been in one of those. Those kind are real bad and I'm sure I don't want to see any more of them.

This one was the one where I was driving a Jeepster Commando and Volvo Amazon connected via tow hitch flipping end over end down the freeway then coming to a sliding stop and bursting into flames while carrying 7 big plastic cans of gasoline in the back - yeah that was the one. Carrying the gas because we were heading back to Seattle with all my stuff thanks to the $9 / barrel price of oil virtually shutting down the economy of Alaska back in 1986.

Fortunately my friend Pete was there and was driving my MGC, he sped up in front of the wreck and ran to the Jeep and pulled me out just as it burst into flames. Pete and some other guy (who didn't stick around) after they pulled the steering column up to allow me to get out through the windshield.

This stopped traffic for 25 miles on the highway out of Anchorage out near Eagle River. All the evening news stations had it on, the reporter asking me "What happened?" and me saying: "Must have been something hot under there" like an oaf. Of course along with the video of flames reaching 25 feet in the air...

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Thanks everybody. I also found this (sort of helpful) link with drawings: https://www.gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/SeatBeltWS.htm . I guess I'm still wondering if a 3-point will work in a good way without a roll-bar... namely, that it would bearly come over your shoulder. Suppose I could do cheap 2-point lap belts for now.
- Mark

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
I got the old-style three-point belts, middle right hand column of this page from VB. The shoulder belt is attached to the wheel well. Gerard's directions show the location.

I, personally, was put off by the hassle of mounting to the fender, even though I have a roll bar! I think it is worth the trouble to add it though. It is only (possibly) your life or the life of a passenger, that is at stake after all.

It is very important that they are adjusted correctly, and that can take some fiddling. Once they are you will see that the shoulder belt is a good thing.

One caveat is that I have original seats. If you have Miata seats or something, I could not say whether a three-point will work.

The key phrase when adjusting is, "Low and tight across your waist" just as they say when you are in that jet plane heading for wherever. The way they are set up the shoulder belt tightens up over your shoulder when you tighten the lap belt.

Charlie

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Check. Thanks.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Received some nice lap-belts from Seatbeltsplus (linked in the post above). Also have this photo that helps with the location of the bolts.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
One more photo (presuming its useful to someone reading the thread). Two middle bolts:

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nothing like a new chassis just after it is painted....just like mine 1 1/2 years ago. Is that a BE cherry red?
Glad you like the seatblets, mine have held up well so far.
Scott in CA