• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bent push rod

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A friend's 100 BN2 has suffered a bent push rod. Can anybody suggest a cause for this? I don't think over revving was a factor, but the engine has been allowed to "run on".

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
A friend's 100 BN2 has suffered a bent push rod. Can anybody suggest a cause for this? I don't think over revving was a factor, but the engine has been allowed to "run on".

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps a bad valve guide?

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello pan, this has been known to happen before today in the 4cyl cars and usually for no apparant reason. Michael Oritt may actually have a very good point there, if a valve guide is actually seizing momentarily on the valve stem and this would put the load onto the pushrod. I remember once going down to Geelong with my brother in his A90 and it suddenly started running on 3 cyl's. When we stopped in Geelong it just happened to be outside a police station. We removed the valve cover after determining which cyl wasn't working properly and found one of the rocker arms wasn't moving. Upon removal of the pushrod it was easy to see it was bent and with a bit of friendly persuasion from a hammer and using the sidewalk to assist it was straightened. One of the boys in blue decided to come out and see what was going on, the look on his face was precious to say the least. It was re-installed and ran all the way back home that night without any problems. We never did discover what caused it to bend as that engine was never over revved so who knows. As far as your friends BN2 having been allowed to "run on" there is no excuse for this to happen these days as i think owners in general take more care of their Healeys' than say they did when the cars were new. Paying particular attention to not only ignition timing but equally importantly is getting the idle speed right and these engines will run just as sweet as ever. regards, BUNDYRUM.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HI Pan, tell your friend there is no reason to let the engine run on, that can be potentially destructive. Tell him when he goes to shut the hot engine down, push in on the clutch and the foot brake, put the gearlever in third gear, flick off the ignition and very slowly release the clutch. Some of these engines will run on no matter what level of tuning you use. This method however, will prevent ,in a non destructive manner, runing on.---Fwiw- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif--Keoke