• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bench Vise

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Does anyone make a good bench vise - 4 to 5 inch jaws? Prefer non swivel base. I have broken too many of these made in China.

Thanks

Steve_S

Yoda
There are many high quality brands, but I don't know of any from China. My personal choice is the Wilton 1765. It has a 360 swivel base but you won't break it. This is the kind of vise you own for the rest of your life, and so will the next several generations in your family! It has 6.5" jaws and normally sells for around $480, but I'm finding it several places online for $350-$375. It really is worth every penny since you not only get a MUCH more sturdy vise to work with, but one you will never have to replace. And, you won't have any hospital bills for broken toes or gashed forearms caused by vises breaking under load.

Another option is to search classifieds for an older US-made vise from the 40's through 60's. They are also rock solid and will last forever. They just don't look as pretty and are usually a bit more bulky.

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Steve - thanks. I will definitely look at Wilton. What I meant by China was that I don't want to buy any from China period (if possible). Any Chinese tools I have bought have broken.

Used is OK too. I am not after pretty. I am after strength. I did find a nice used one but at $600. Bit more than I want to spend.

Thanks again

Bruce

Steve_S

Yoda
I agree about Chinese tools. Most of them I've used have been garbage compared to those made elsewhere. There are exceptions of course, but I prefer to buy a tool only once and have it for a lifetime. I prefer actually using quality tools, too. Then there's the matter of giving my money to a country that has declared war on our economy, but that's another discussion in itself!

If you do look into Wilton, keep in mind that they have a cheaper line that is Chinese-made and not nearly as strong or nice. The ones with the round bodies are US-made and those with square bodies are manufactured off-shore.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
All we had at Boeing Canada were Record vices

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not that it helps, but my 6" Chinese vise from Enco has absorbed all the abuse I've managed to throw at it for well over a decade now. The handle is somewhat S-shaped, from occasionally being tightened with a 3lb maul; and a misplaced blow with a 5 pounder did break one of the hardened (replaceable) pipe jaws. But over all I feel it was excellent value for the money (about 1/10 what a comparable Wilton costs).

And if I do manage to finally destroy it, I'll buy another one and still be ahead of the game. My kids are never going to use my tools anyway; and I'll bet they charge the same for the Cheap Chinese at my estate sale. as they would for a good vise.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
TR3driver said:
I'll bet they charge the same for the Cheap Chinese at my estate sale. as they would for a good vise.

Hee-hee. Like the other user (I forget the name) with the signature "My biggest fear is my wife will sell my car for what I told her it costs."

Edit: WeeWilly, and the true quote (just saw his post in the Pub): "My worst fear is that when I die my wife sells my car for what I told her it cost"

D

DougF

I bought a very nice used vise at a service garage auction. $35. Those bargains are always out there. Unfortunately, you have to be able to wait.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
weewillie said:
All we had at Boeing Canada were Record vices
These would be the most "appropriate." They are (perhaps, "were") made in England!

tomkatb

For Christmas My son bought me a "Wilton Columbian Vise". Chinese made I think.

Unique to it is tha the jaws will open up to almost 10" for that one job when you need to persuade something like u joints.

Reasonably priced.

Larry