• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Before I do something stupid

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'm just fixing to install the A-arm and just put in the new bushings - now it doesn't seem to fit. The outside ones shouldn't be a problem as I can put them in after the A-arm is in place - but I either have to compress the bushings somehow or bend the metal which I don't want to do - thoughts?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is the bushing hole completely clean, nothing left of the old bearing. I had to ask.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
completely - the "shoulders" of the new ones just look thicker
will post a pic in a minute

Country flag
Pry and squish it in there. It'll go.
...of course I frequently break things by "man handling" them.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You will find I think that if you reverse the seleaves there is a cut out in the frame part for them to fit into. Then the fastner goes on..

only the bolt end goes through the small hole.

Country flag
Doh! I guess I should look at the pictures and see what you are talking about.

bugimike

Yoda
I agree with Jack's assessment of the pitures! Re-insert the bushings from the other side!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I know the other side (outside bushings) get pushed in after the A-arm is in place, however, if you look at this pic you will see that I can't push the bushing through from one side to the other - the inside bushings need to be in place before the A-arm goes on - which leads to sqeezing unless I'm missing something

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10772705@N05/2174728397/

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Time for a check here, I don't think those are the right bushings. I don't remember that they are anything but tapered.

Sorry could not see that on the first couple of photos.

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
I have just done the same job on my 62 - you just have to force them in there - I angled the a-arm to get the first on in and then used a small pry bar to "encourage" the second one. Everything seems fine on mine now that they are in - a nice snug fit.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mine went right in, from Moss. Again I ask do they all really have that step in them? I just don't remember that.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jack, so far as I can tell they are the correct ones. the old ones had shoulders and the rest of the kit matches.

JP,
could you measure across the a frames on the inside and the outside, also the width of each ear and compare them to the old ones....just curious

i think i used a c clamp a chunk of flat hardwood and some lube to set the inner bushing in place somewhat to get some room.

mark

Morris

Yoda
JP,

I bent my tabs enough to get the thing started then muscled it the res of the way in. I did this after trying almost everything else I could think of. But I do something stupid almost every time I get near my car with a wrench so you probably should NOT do what I do. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, I think writing the note took longer than the job. Here's what I did.

1. Inserted the inside bushings on the A-arm.
2. Put the rear side into the slot and held it in place by sticking the bolt part way in.
3. Took my useful carpet knife and wedged it in between the front bushing and flange on the car
4. Took my dead bolt hammer and tapped the A-arm in - sliding the bushing along the blade of the carpet knife.
5. 3 minutes later it's in.
6. A little adjusting for bolts and we're golden

thanks all - as usual you give my confidence a boost and keep me out of the weeds!

Just for the record (doesn't matter now as the A-arms are coming off again) which way do the bolts face?

Also, tomorrow is spring putting back on time. I understand the concept in terms of putting a jack under it.

Do I
A)connect the kingpin to the shock and then jack up the "cup" that holds the spring? or do I
B)force the spring into the attached "cup" and pivot it as the jack raises it? (and does this question even make sense?) - If the answer is B, how do I force the spring in?

thanks again

Just for the record (doesn't matter now as the A-arms are coming off again) which way do the bolts face?

The threaded end points in to the center of the arm

A)connect the kingpin to the shock and then jack up the "cup" that holds the spring

works well for me YMMV

mark

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
YMMV?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Your Mileage May Vary"

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif You're welcome! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif