• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bare Bones Commuter

R6MGS

Yoda
I need to buy a bare bones commuter car in the next month or so(before the almightly MGA has to hibernate) because the STS is just too big and gas guzzling to carry one person in 2-3 hours of traffic jams everyday....We'll be keeping it of course, just retiring it from commuting duties. So I've been looking at stuff like the Hyundai Accent, Chevy Aveo, Nissan Versa....That kinda garbage; very cheap, efficient, low maintence...everything that all our other cars arn't. So I figured I'd ask if anyone has any experience with any of the cars in that league, and what they thought. I had rented an Accent a few weeks ago and it seemed, driveable.

Country flag
What price range are those cars in? My wife and I would purchase a Honda Fit if we were in the market for a new car.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Honda fit would be in that price range....But it looks pretty nasty in my opinion.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
So, does it have to be new?

A cheaper alternative would be:

1. Used Miata with a hardtop, and a set of first-rate snow tyres. Good economy, stone reliable, still a fun commuter for the nice weather. You do see 'em around here in the winter and as you're aware, we have a little bit of snow from time to time.

2. Used "New Mini" Cooper, rather more fun than the econoboxes, still economical though, a good, reliable car. I like this option the most myself. And it's technically British! Good grocery getter, save using a classic, hatchback, more solid than a tin box.

Just my tuppence worth.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree - you could buy an "interesting" used car
for less than the price of a new,boring car.

- Doug

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I drove a Hyundai Accent (2003, auto, hatchback) for the last 4.5 years and 84k miles. It was great basic transportation, never had a problem with it. I just sold it for $3600 to a friend at work. Hyundai cars depreciate like mad, so if you can find a solid used one they're a really good deal. Not a fun car, but very serviceable.

I spent a day recently driving most of the cars in this range: Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, Mazda3, Honda Fit, Ford Focus, Mini Cooper and Clubman. The Mazda3 was a very nice car, but a bit pricey and not very good on MPG or interior space. The Mini was a hoot, but noticeably more expensive for less space. Yaris was a POS, and the Versa and Focus were uninspiring.

The Honda Fit was the clear winner. Drove almost as nicely as the Mini, with huge space inside -- very clever interior packaging (I've got to fit lots of gear including an upright bass, so interior space and a 5-door hatchback are a must). I like the look too, but I understand that it's not the look for anyone.

If I didn't need the space and had more money, I'd probably buy a Mini Cooper. But I do need the space, and in this price range a $5000 difference in final price is a huge difference. I need a good reliable all-weather car, and the 2009 Honda Fit, well, fit. So I ordered one.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I'd add in that the day I spent test driving everything back to back was hugely useful. For me, it clearly identified the winner.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks for the input...Guess I'll give the Fit a try. Yes, it has to be new; cuz I am sick of being my mechanics best customer. It's gotta have a full warrantee for at least the next 3 years.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A pal here got a Fit last year. Seems like it does the job well. Lots of space, good mileage. It's kinda quick, too. They just look funny. Once inside it, ya won't notice that. :wink:

William

Darth Vader
I'll add my vote for the Fit-they're pretty good to drive, and I bet with some decent tires (okay, maybe not in an Ontario winter!) it'd be even better.

I agree that das MINI is an incredibly poorly packaged car. I was real hot on them for a while, till I finally drove a new one a couple of months ago. A fun car to drive (easily better than the Fit), but....my word it's space inefficient! The back seats and cargo room are a joke-my old CRX was easily roomier. Plus, I resent being required to pay $500 to get the car painted in a color other than red, yellow, or white.

-Wm.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Welp....I've officially come full circle, pretty quickly too. After spending a day looking at all the vehicles in that price range I was almost sick at the lack of 'car' for the money. So as luck would have it I stumbled into a VERY nice 1980 MGB for a reasonable price, I looked at it today and am currently working out the details with the owner....But it looks like we'll have our WINTER daily driver MGB again(the last time I drove an LBC in the winter was 1984 in a 76 Spitfire). I've got some old, ugly custom mags from an mga(15 inch) that will hopefully fit on the B with some snowtires...Borrow a hardtop from one of the 78's. It's already got a Weber with a manual choke on it, so that should help with the subzero starts. The wife(who currently drive the 61 MGA daily, april through november) will probably be the main driver of this B Anyway....wish us luck, we'll need it.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[whispers]<span style="font-style: italic">Warm climates!!</span>

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I know, I know....A few more years and I am outta here!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Certainly a more fun alternative for the daily commute. Hope it all works out for you!

Country flag
Put some 151 or some Everclear in the gas tank for the winter months! That'll keep your car "warm"!! LOL

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
I went through this almost 3 years ago when trying to find the latest 2nd car (the GT6 is the primary). The 2nd car is always the mule, to haul GT6 parts and things to big to put in the GT6.

After a lot of research, looking at price, serviceablility, mpg, etc., I came up with the 1995 - 1999 Dodge/Plymouth Neon, specifically looking for one with a manual transmission, no sunroof & no power windows or anything else.

After I got it, I began liking it more & more. It turns out the 1995 - 1999 Neon has an awesome showroom stock SCCA history, believably, because it's fun to drive. I expected only a mule, but it is extremely fun to drive & too much fun on interstate ramps and hilly, twisty, 2-lane roads.

I like it more & more the longer I have it. This weekend, I had to drive some stuff to New Orleans (it's unfortunate that it's the cargo vehicle), usually 1 1/4 tank trip something like a 12 or 14 gallon tank. I realized I'd left my cards and DL at home & had only a 1/2 a tank & a $20 bill in my pocket. So I resolved to drive at 55 mph economy to see if I could make it and if neccessary gas up and turn around if it looked like it wouldn't. I had installed the Mopar Performance engine controller from Dodge which is optimized to sportier response but is supposed to yield lower fuel economy, but at 55 mph granny speed the trip took only 1/4 of a tank each way! I thought the gas gauge was broken! I really really like this car, and I am a picky, critical SOB about cars.

105k mile timing belt interval, excellent rear passenger space, strong enthusiast community for support. Low mileage examples often show up. I would recommend it to anyone, but I think for most folks I'd recommend the 4-door rather than the 2-door version for greatest and most comfortable use.

They made them in various sport/trim levels which includes suspension equipment, but basically the manuals have better fuel economy and fun-to-drive than the autos. The Mopar Performance controllers are available for all of them.

Mine is a 1999 Neon R/T like this one:

98.dodge.neon.rt.160.jpg

I haven't run across anything more reasonable and fun to drive. Cargo area is big, but I put a trailer hitch on it for when I may want to take an engine to a machine shop on a small trailer or something.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I may look into some older stuff like the neon if the deal for this MGB falls through. All I really need is something to get through 2 or 3 winters, then retirement! So I can go back to enjoying driving.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
First Gen Scion XB! 30 plus MPG, Lots of interior room, different looking, and handles like a go-kart! Very comfortable seating position, great visibility, cheap to maintain (cheap size tires, brakes, filters, etc)
I absolutly love our "toaster"! I'll probably wind up finding another one when this one dies wayyyy down the road. 80K miles and it runs like new.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I know some people swear by those old volvos....but not my style at all. I am familiar with precision thoughh, I've done quite a bit of business with them over the years...Earlier in the summer I drove(as far as I could...then waddled) through a flood to get into their shop.