• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Background on my 1980 TR7 & current Idle problem

Fred_J

Freshman Member
My son and I like to have a project car going, he's 18 now but when he was 14 we picked up a 1970 Camaro and put in a new 350ci crate engine from GM and restored it to an SS Clone. We finished it by the time he got his license @ 16 - and he was hooked and we both share that passion. My other 16 year old is in the final stages of restoring his 1967 Firebird. No crate engine this time, but rebuilt, new disks up front with power brakes. OK enough about that.
We were itching for a new project and Mike wanted something with a manual transmission. There was an ad in the paper for a 1980 TR7 for $700 OBO. We went and had a look. The car had been stored for the past two years in a carport (2 open sides) and he left the top down (why?). The bigger question was why didn't he put the car cover we found in the trunk on it...? To say the least the car was FILTHY. I mean dirt and grime an inch deep all over the interior. There were plants growing beneith the car but the body was in good shape (no rust, a couple of minor dings one on the nose) but everything else was straight - 3 tires were good - he hadn't run it in two years - no battery - you get the picture.
I asked him how much he would take for it and he said he had a sight unseen telephone offer for $400, so anything over that and we had a deal. I offered $450 and we had a deal.
Thankfully, the DMV was only 2 blocks away and I immediately went over the record the sale and update the registration. Oh, oh - hasn't been registered for two years - penalties of $200 due on the car. I ran back to the seller explained the details and he agreed to hand back $200. Cool. Deal done.

Brought the car home and had the boys clean it up a bit. It cleaned up nice - needs new carpet and the upholstery on the bottom of the seats needs attention but everything else is OK. a 12 rip in the soft top - will need to have that looked at. Oh - the car also came with a Haynes manual, a gas can and jumper cables.
Bought a battery, took off the air cleaner, talk about the wierdest carbs I have ever seen before !! I wasn't quite sure how I was going to prime the pump, but oh well, we'll try just lifting up that piston and dripping some gas right in. Hooked up the battery starter as well as the new battery, turned the key and wham - it fired right up - for two seconds. That was terrific - I was very happy to say the least.
Couldn't get gas through the carbs = tried everything, drained the tank, replaced with new good gas, tested the fuel pump, everything working.

OK, last resort - pull both carbs and time to get dirty with this new engine. Found Moss and Victoria and ordered rebuild kits - rebuilt them - installed them and wham - fired right up and ran. Very cool.

Time for a quick road test and ride to the gas station. Engine felt fine, brakes another story, pushed all the way to the floor and ready to pull the emergency, but we got it stopped. Then our first surprise at the gas station (and I'm not talking about the price of gas!)

The prior owner had purchased a locking gas cap, one that wasn't made for the car. The locking mechanism knocked loose the aluminium tube within the tank filler pipe that has the hinged door at the bottom. So the pump isn't able to reach the hinged door anymore and it is almost impossible to get gas into it. You have to pull up the tube withing the filler pipe and quickly put the pump into it hopefully catching it before it falls all the way back down and you can fill gas.
IF ANYONE HAS REPLACED THE TOP OF THE TANK FILLER PIPE, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.

When we got back home the first thing we did was bleed the brakes and make sure they were all working effectively. No problem, very easy to do. Oh, I had ordered the Bentley manual a week ago and it came today. It had the brake bleeding instructions - much better than Haynes in my opinion. Better pictures/ diagrams too.

Here's problem number 2: THE IDLE STARTS AT 2000RPM AND SLOWLY MOVES UP TO 2400 WHEN IT WARMS UP. THE MANUAL TALKS ABOUT THE THROTTLE ADJUSTMENT SCREWS AND THE FAST IDLE ADJUSTMENT SCREW. WE DON'T HAVE THE FAST IDLE ADJUSTMENT SCREWS ON OUR CARBURETORS. ALL WE HAVE ARE THE THROTTLE ADJUSTMENT AND CHANGING THOSE HAVE NO EFFECT ON IDLE.

At this point I think we have tried just about everything we could find and everything we could think of to get the idle down to around 800rpm as per spec in the manual.

Anyone having any thoughts for me would very much be appreciated. I am anxous to get this project to the next level, but this is the top priority and on the critical path.

OK, that's all about me (us) and our current problems for which we could use advice.

Thanks FRED from San Diego

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Fred -

Thanks for the intro. Sounds like you're gonna fit right in here!

I'm sure you'll get some sage advice from some of the folks here, and there's another "mailing list" that you'll find helpful. If you'll shoot an e-mail to tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu you'll be added to the list. I'm restoring a TR8, and have found lots of insight into all the "wedgies".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

AndyTR7

Freshman Member
Wow, you've done a lot of work already. My TR has SU's and I could not get the idle to lower down to 800, it was always up around 2000 when it was warm. The problem was three fold, first with the connection rod between the two carbs, second one of the butterflys would not close all the way and third it had a slight vacuum leak. To solve the dilemma, I losened the bolts that clamped the carbs linkage together to make sure that both bottomed out properly. This did not do much, but it seemed too help some, (100 RPM). Next I realized I had a slight vacuum leak and was overfueling the carbs with the manual choke. By fixing the leak, it really helped, at that point I could push the choke all the way in and it would not die, but the idle was still around 1500rpm and by adjusting both screws on the carbs it did not do lower the revs any more, I could only raise the RPM. While monkying around I noticed that if I applied some pressure to the linkage I could get the idle to come down. As it turned out I needed to add an additional spring to the set up because the butterfly in the front carb would not quite bottom out causing the rpms to be high. Once I put in the second spring my revs came down into spec.

Hope this helps.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Andy J