• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Automatic transmission???

76Capri

Freshman Member
I know I know...why on Earth would one bother. My wife likes the 67 MG Midget we just found, but she'd love it if it were an auto trans. Is there any information out there as to how to do it?

Of course my solution would be to stick a different engine and trans combo in the car and solve the issue that way, but that's not exactly cost effective.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I know, an english boy friend who shifts with his left hand.

Think MGCs came with autos in some cases.

OP

76Capri

Freshman Member
Looks like mgc were inline 6 engines, looking for something that would bolt up to the 1275cc engine the car has.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Never heard of an automatic otherwise. Maybe some expert knows of something but sure would be different and I would think slow.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I have an MGC GT with auto trans - there were about 244 of them made in '69....yep, rarer than hen's teeth!

Country flag
I saw a midget on ebay once that had a datsun 1200 motor and automatic tranny.

Bugeye58

Yoda
A 1275 with a slush box!?? It wouldn't get out of it's own way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You may find something in the UK that would fit, but I can't think of anything on this side of the pond that would work without some very major mods being required.
Jeff

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
A 1275 with a slush box!?? It wouldn't get out of it's own way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe

Another vote for leave it be.

fireinc

Sacrilege!!! BUT it occurs to me that the Datsun B210 probably came w/auto... any chance of using some of the components for the 5-spd switch?

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Yeah, I think your best bet would be to look at the replacement transmissions (ford 9, datsun/nissan B210) and then see what automatics were made to fit those models. I bet both the Datsun and Ford have something compatable.

Ben

john_j

Jedi Trainee
I can't think of anything that used the A series engine north south that was automatic, the only possibility would be Marina, but you're unlikely to find one in the US anyway. I think automatic Marinas were 1800 B series (later ones 1700 O series) and trying to fit one of those will be a big job.
There were plenty of transverse engined A series autos (Mini, 1100, 1300) but that's a completely different gearbox so doesn't help.
I'm sure I've seen auto MGBs????? Just get her to stand a bit further away when you go to view it so it looks smaller, she'll never know it's not a Midget ;-)

John

(PS I'm not in the slightest bit convinced that having an automatic sportscar should even be discussed, should we report the thread as a breach of conditions of the board?!)

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
In defence, my wife has a dodgy left knee and phyically can't drive a stick for more than a couple of blocks, yet she'd love to drive the midget but the clutch is a little stiff. That's a rare circumstance I know, but it at least saves me from getting in and discovering the seat is 6 inches forward and the rear view mirror meets my forehead and steering wheel meets my ribcage.
The money needed to transform such, you may as well buy a used Miata.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I saw a midget with a vacume button on the top of the shift lever to work the clutch for a guy without a leg.

Would beat the heck out of an automatic and I should think a lot easier to hook up and still allow pedel work for those so inclined.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Baz, speaking of Miatas, you might look at finding a wrecked Miata with an auto and swap the engine/tranny in - you'd wind up with a real sleeper that your wife could enjoy as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP

76Capri

Freshman Member
[ QUOTE ]
Baz, speaking of Miatas, you might look at finding a wrecked Miata with an auto and swap the engine/tranny in - you'd wind up with a real sleeper that your wife could enjoy as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were to do a swap I think the 2.0L Ztec mated to a c4 automatic would do wonders. It would be a complex task to say the least. Plus it makes the whole project infinately more expensive...

She'll have to learn to like a 4 speed...

Shealey

Jedi Trainee
I had a customer that had a Alfa Romeo with a dual over head cam motor and an auto trans. I think it was like 1982 or something. It was peppy enough, I guest...