• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Assembly Sequence, Dash and Under Dash

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello everyone

Can you help with the assembly sequence? I installed my dash. On each side/top of the dash, there are a pair of 1/4 inch studs that hold the dash to the body. In addition, there are two windscreen defroster ducts that hang from these studs. Finally, on the driver side, the steering column also has a bracket that hangs from these studs. So, I assume the dash goes on first, then the defroster ducts, and then the steering bracket, right?

Also, do the defroster ducts tuck in between the wiper tube and the top of the cowl? Or, do the ducts hang below the wiper tube? It seems like the ducts should hang below the wiper tube, as fitting them in between the wiper tube and cowl is a very tight fit indeed.

Thanks for the tips.

Pat

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hello everyone

Can you help with the assembly sequence? I installed my dash. On each side/top of the dash, there are a pair of 1/4 inch studs that hold the dash to the body. In addition, there are two windscreen defroster ducts that hang from these studs. Finally, on the driver side, the steering column also has a bracket that hangs from these studs. So, I assume the dash goes on first, then the defroster ducts, and then the steering bracket, right?

Also, do the defroster ducts tuck in between the wiper tube and the top of the cowl? Or, do the ducts hang below the wiper tube? It seems like the ducts should hang below the wiper tube, as fitting them in between the wiper tube and cowl is a very tight fit indeed.

Thanks for the tips.

Pat

Pat,Irecently have been working in this ara and can offer the following
Finish the wiper install complete before going further.Your wheel boxes appear to be upsidedown to the way I installed with screw toward bottom and tube on top,but maybey I did it wrong.
I ran the left side defrost from the rear of the heater Y around the front of heater and up thru hole in steering wheel bracket.
Dash,defrost duct and then streering bracket was the order I used.This may not be correct or most desireable because if in future the steering supports have to come out to remove duct,wich partially blocks wheeelbox access.
Also I would recommend the dash install with capping installed.I originally set dash and the found it had to be lowered in the slots to clear the speedo bezel,and allow the grab bar to clear glove box door.Wheelboxes are above or behind ducts.
Have Fun
Tom
Tom

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Tom

Esteemed collective: Did I install the wheel boxes upside down? Sheesh.

Pat

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did I install the wheel boxes upside down?

Compared to the way I did, yes. I had to go out and look, because I didn't have a picture in the 6 million I took during reassembly...

If it helps, it looks like I installed the demister vent before the dash. I don't know why, but then again, I don't know why I did many things I have done. I do know that I have a "cowl squeak" that stops when I press on the dash corner right about where the right most/lower nut is on the dash back side. It's easy to tighten (and is tight), but I do not want to remove that glove box again.

The hoses to the demisters are a challenge to route as well, and have a little to do with the orientation of the heater output. And the heater hoses are a pain to route, as is the wiring loom. I'm not sure there is a easy order to route them. -you are getting closer.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Pat
I did my TR3 twice, because of the assembly sequence.. Yes your wheel boxes are upside down. (Been there done that)

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pat
I did my TR3 twice, because of the assembly sequence.. Yes your wheel boxes are upside down. (Been there done that)

Great minds think alike....... and fools seldom differ.

Sorry for cliche'

Thanks Dan

Pat

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Hey Pat
I have some 250 hubcaps......

RC64

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Pat...

I just finished the under dash installation struggle. It took me awhile to get it all to fit right. I concur with the suggestion that your wheel boxes are upside down. I think you'll find that with the wheel boxes reversed that the demister vents will have to fit below the wiper tube. I did take a number of photos that might be of some help, two of which I'll include here...

DSC01531.jpg DSC01524a.jpg

Another issue that came up for me was the hoses on top of the heater. With the heater hose that I have (purchased locally), there was no way they were going to make the bend without crimping in time. I found a couple of 90 degree adapters that fit just right above the heater pipes. Worked out fine. You can see them just above the lower duct.

Let me know if you need any more photos. I have plenty from a variety of angles.

Rick...

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick

Beautiful job with putting the car back together. These photos are very helpful. Thanks for sharing them.

Pat

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm gonna act like Jerry and Dan (Tinman) do every day.... and not go to work tomorrow - gonna try to get this under dash work completed by Sunday. Photos to follow.

Pat

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Hey, we paid out time in work years already! Besides, I had to go work on my daughters rental today.
Jerry