• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Assemble and run or body off restore?

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
This may simply be avoiding a decision, but I'd like some input. My sainted son bought me a 1959 TR3A in remarkable condition restoration-wise. It was partially apart in a barn (where it had been for 15 years), but appears to be free of all but minor surface rust in places (unlike the three Austin Healy 3000's I've previously owned). He parked it in his basement and we are in the process of gathering any missing parts, etc.

This is what the car initially looked like, barn dust and all:

https://xjguy.com/triumph/dec10/800x600/

The engine is now out, we've pulled the dash, all body panels are off, and I've restored the center dash panel and am fixing to recover the main dash and clean the speedo/tach, etc. The gas tank is out and seats are pulled and the body tub could be lifted off the frame fairly easily.

My question is this - I believe my son favors putting it back together, getting it running, and having me get my fun out of it then worry at a later date about any repainting, etc. This may reflect his natural inclination to get it back on the road, but may also reflect a desire to get it out of his basement :smile:

My inclination, though, is that since we are down to the body tub now, it would sort of be a sin to let the opportunity pass to yank it off, get it blasted down to metal (tub and frame), and repaint both and then reassemble. This is particularly attractive to me since I hope to change the color scheme from basic black exterior and interior to british racing green exterior and tan interior.

I have absolute confidence that without any repainting, my son can probably get this thing on the road in a month or two.

So, my question to the forum is this: What would you do? Go for reassembly and drive it now, or do blast, paint, then reassemble, perhaps delaying finishing for some additional months?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Craig -

Personally, if I had one in the condition yours is in, I wouldn't hesitate to take it down all the way. The TR3 is such an easy car to take apart and put back together. And since you want to change the color, to do it properly will mean taking it apart anyway.

My 2 cents...

Mickey

PeterK

Yoda
Hi Craig,

Guarantee that if you blast it, you will uncover more work than you think you have. Answer this question: What made the previous owner park it? Usually we don't our park cars in a barn while they're roadworthy.

If you reassemble now, you'll probably end up having to rebuild all major systems to get it on the road: hydraulics of course, engine as it's been sitting for at least 15 years, electrical. It will probably run OK for a while without going through the engine but you should at lease pull the head and pan and check things out first.
My take is do the body while it's apart, it's much harder after.

And after your son puts it back together in 1-2 months, send him my way. My 4A has been apart over 10 years and still not done.

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
absolutely, take it apart and do it properly. you'll probably regret it if you don't especially since a lot of the work has been done for you already.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It IS in remarkably good shape, rust-wise.
And... your son IS a saint!

I'm doing a '59 also. Also one that sat for a long time awaiting the arrival of both time and money to do the job. I vote with the other guys. Take it ALL apart and paint it right. That's what I'm doing....

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I dunno, I'm going to go against the flow and say that, if it was mine, I'd want to put it together, get it running, and have some fun with it as soon as possible.

PS Since we both wear the same style of hat, you may give my opinion correspondingly greater weight. Or not, as the case may be /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Many youngsters tend to like driving classic cars over restoration (at least that was the case with me). I'm a lot older now and still enjoy driving. The difference between then and now, is now I prefer to drive a good looking classic car. (also, my wife would not be caught dead in what she would call a beater even if it was in as good condition as yours).

Also, as others have said, I bet there is more rust on that tub then meets the eye and it will eventually aggravate you.

So, if you have the time and money, do it right. You and your son will be happier in the long run. That is unless it is he or his wife that wants it out of the basement, then all bets are off and you will need a plan three.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
CraigLandrum said:
So, my question to the forum is this: What would you do? Go for reassembly and drive it now, or do blast, paint, then reassemble, perhaps delaying finishing for some additional months?
My preference has always been solidly on the side of DRIVING the car. Frame-offs are for show pieces IMO, not something that goes out on the freeway every day. (No offense intended, Don, but that's the way I see it.)

And frankly, if it looks good and people like it, I don't really care how much bondo & fiberglass is hidden; or whether the insides of the doors match the frame.

Life is short, drive it now. Unless of course you would rather spend your time restoring it. Some folks like that ...

G

Fix it right and enjoy it for a lifetime. Put it together without a restoration and you will further decrease its value.
You don't have to go concours, just correct. Do it right.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The desire for a color change may be what pushes me into the 'paint it' camp here. Especially since you're not planning on bringing another RED TR3A into the world.

Your choice of BRG & Tan is about as good as it gets in my opinion.

That said, when faced with a similar situation I chose to drive.

Shoot, "I chose to drive" will probably make a pretty good epitaph for me someday.

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The car appears to be in good shape if the pics don't deceive. If the engine was in and the panels were all on I would say get it running, drive it, and then decide what to do. Your car appears to be more apart than together at this point so I would probably go for the frame up on this.

The important factor here is not what our opinion is but more so what you can afford or have the time to do with out losing interest.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
"...without losing interest." Excellent point, Harry! As others have pointed out, it's pretty easy to justify either approach. On the other hand, if I were to take on such a car, I can see myself almost reassembling it just to make sure everything is there (and better document what isn't). That "reassembly" in itself might be enough to give you incentive to finish it (however you plan to do so). I've seen too many projects over the years (including one or two of my own) get to the stage yours is in, or even further apart, and then sit and sit and sit.... Actually, that seems to be exactly what you have: the result of someone who lost enthusiasm, money or time, and then let it sit.

It's far enough apart that you or your chosen shop can easily do just about anything that needs to be done, including proper cleaning, rustproofing and repainting body panels and such. And unless you're looking for a true SHOW CAR, taking the body off the frame isn't going to seriously compromise the quality of the job. So if you're not looking to be the "Q-tips and Meguiars underneath the car at every show" guy, you can preserve and protect the underneath, rebuild what needs it, paint and upholster what shows, and drive.

By the way, is that "sainted" son of yours also on this forum? If not, it's a very interesting coincidence of surnames, geography and source of questions from both of you! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
personal preferece here and how one chooses to spend their time and money. i would put it together getting the mechanics as good as $ allow and drive it. i would actually rather drive what some would call a beater than spit and polish. if i drop a wrench on it i don't have a heart attack. more importantly, not being afraid to turn down that inviting gravel road to see where it goes. that gives the car great value to me.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Craig,
I think I'd try to understand why it was already taken apart part-way. Was it hit in the front? I think it's in better shape than it looks, but taking it down the rest of the way, at this point, will keep it from rusting away. If your son can put back together so fast, what's another couple weeks?

I love the pictures. Are you aware that dual exhausts, velocity stacks, and the non-log type intake were not stock on a 59 tr3? Do you plan to rebuild the rubber and steering components? Suspension? If so, it might be easier once the body is not in the way. Nothing is without a price, and only you (and maybe your sons wife) can decide if it's worth it.

Do it right (whatever is right for you) or prepare to redo it.
Jer (...if it were me, I'd lift the body off)

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Since you already have it apart I would at least pull the tub and have the frame media blasted and powder coated. My friend did this with his TR3A and it looks fantastic. Then you can decide which way you want to go on the body. Me, I'd have the tub media blasted and painted too.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
That close, go for it! If you don't you will be kicking yourself later. Randall, I feel that frame off is a prudent way for any kind of restoration, show or go, or show and go. Rust has a bad habit of not stopping if you don't exorcize it completely, and I guarantee that there is rust in that car somewhere, barn kept or not.
DO IT NOW, DO IT RIGHT!
Tinkerman

Tomster

Jedi Knight
I would agree with yanking the tub and frame and doing the "right" finishing. That said, you do need to consider whether you will then be reduced(?) to show car paranoia vs the ability to have a lovely weekend driver.
I also agree that you will likely have 2+ months of work dependant upon parts access. That's OK though, you'll be startin to roll during prime drive season

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Andrew Mace said:
I've seen too many projects over the years (including one or two of my own) get to the stage yours is in, or even further apart, and then sit and sit and sit....
EXACTLY !

There's one sitting in my garage right now; PO started a restoration in 1970 or so ... finally lost his storage ... but it's still sitting ...

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I see "apart" as "opportunity," so I'd strip it and
paint it right, the way I'd want it.

What folds in the mix for me? How my son and daughter-in-law really feel about having it in their basement.

If they really do not care about the time it's there, I'd
do it right, the way I'd want to have it.

If they want to set up a gym in their basement and the car is in the way, I'd throw it together and enjoy.

Just in response to: "What would you do?"

Either way, you win. By the way....nice son.