• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Articles for a Triumph club magazine.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I have for many years contributed articles for our club magazine, but am running out of ideas.
Perhaps you guys could suggest some topics you would like to see in your magazine to help get me going again?
I am willing to tackle anything, and to research subjects I don't know about etc.
What do you think?
Simon.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
This last yr I have gotten 8 boxes of British, British Car mags(10 to 25 yrs old). We in the US have very little idea about all the different British cars including Triumphs. I'd suggest a little research and take a look at other models. Practical Classics, Classic Cars make up the most of the mags I have. Good luck.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
It would be great if you could share those articles with us.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Simon,
How about the come back and revival of the Triumph Stag in North America? We now have 360 Stags in our club registry, 300 members. That number is a far cry from the early days when any North American Triumph club would claim 0-2 Stags, and when Stag Club of America (now absorbed by TSC USA) had tops of about 150 members.
I recommend you contact some of my club officers such as Tony Fox, Joe Pawlak, and some members like Founder - Michael Coffey, Richard Truett, to name a few. In Ontario there are great examples and also across the border at ISOA, and DTSC.

With an estimated less than 800 remaining in North American in any condition, the Stag is becoming a sought after classic in Original trim.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

V

vagt6

Another high-quality magazine is "Octane". Not sure, but I think it's published in England. Excellent articles on a wide range of brit cars. Frequent articles on Triumphs and MGs, too.

Very good LBC magazine, I think.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
StagByTriumph said:
Hi Simon,
How about the come back and revival of the Triumph Stag in North America? ....
Good idea. Similarly, you could consider the resurgence of interest in the Herald and Sports 6/Vitesse 6 models in North America, especially amongst Triumph owners who used to "look down on" these cars but have now discovered that a: they're just about as much fun as the sports models; and b: they hold more passengers (just like the Stag)! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Simon,... I think an excellent series of articles could be based on the tribulations of the "Crypt" car.
Dale started out last year with little knowledge or experience, has virtually rebuilt his car. He's gonna wind up being a "Master" mechanic, before it's all over.
He does great pictures, you could embellish his discriptions, give him credit for his contributions and eureka... Article for club newsletter! I magine a deal could be worked out...
Take care Bob

OP
Simon TR4a

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Thanks guys! You are right, sometimes the answer is right under your nose.
Glenn, I know Tony Fox, and the Stag does deserve more coverage, that's a good suggestion.
Andy, I like the idea of the Herald story, especially the export aspect as I know they were shipped to India as kits and also did quite well in other export markets. I will get your advice on other aspects, and the Vitesse.
"Crypty" is another great story, Dale may end up a folk hero!
He deserves it, too!
I have used ideas from some of the magazines, I have hundreds, even done an article reviewing Octane and Retro Cars.
I have started on one about John Sprinzel and Chris Lawrence (60's tuners) but its a bit peripheral to Triumphs, Sprinzel was mostly a Sprite guy, and Lawrence tuned Triumph motors in Morgans, so this one may not make the cut!
Thanks for contributing good ideas, Simon.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Simon - Why not do a historical interview with Kit Heathcote, the chap who was Ken Richardson's co-driver, navigator, friend and who moved to Ottawa in the 1950's ? There is a photo of both together on page 66 of Bill Piggott's book "Triumph by Name - Triumph by Nature".

Don

R

RonMacPherson

Have you considered for the technical side, contacting Teglerizer and see about including, at the very least some of his reference links, possibly including some of the articles therein?

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
how about some more how to tech articles? i always like looking at them or how about researching modifications, maybe like the rear diff mount reinforcements, toyota brake mods, miata seats in the tr, overdrive conversion on the non overdrive tranny, triumph in competition and the technical aspects that were changed about the car....upgrades to the injection system custom exhausts etc etc.
Randy

OP
Simon TR4a

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Hi Don,
Bob Bieler did an interview with Kit Heathcote a while back, so I think that's been covered.
We have also had a good article on the Toyota brake conversion, and "re-powering" the TR6 with a sbf. Other tech articles have covered electric wiring upgrades and relays and Miata seats. (The magazine has been published for over 20 years, so it's hard to find something fresh.)

I have done several articles about Triumph's racing history, profiled some vintage racers, Triumph powered specials, done an article on Michelotti the designer, and done tech articles on brakes, spark plugs and cylinder head modifications and compression ratio. I once did a piece on women who had raced Triumphs, including Janet Guthrie and Donna Mae Mimms. Don has contributed some good articles about Trusty, too!
So thanks for all the suggestions, definitely helpful, Simon.

Cyberpyr8

I know in researching two seater roadster cars (Austin, MG, Triumph, Fiat, Alpha's ect.) that the Triumph was one of the better cars to consider for several reasons including price, availability and aftermarket parts.

Maybe you can do an article on why someone should consider a Triumph over the others. For example, I know that Fiats have several issues and are harder to get parts for. The Austin's are great cars but to buy one for restoring is much more expensive to start with. Alpha's are affordable but supply is lower ect..

Triumph's seem to be an affordable restore car. Comparing them to classic Ford's, Chevy and Dodge's they are much less of an investment to begin with and you have a unique car.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Simon - How about a tech article on gas flowing a TR engine. I know both you and I would prefer to see this for a 4-cylinder engine. What it is, how it's done, description of the equipment, who can do it, comparison of a standard head against one that has been "ported" by an expert for improved flow with graphs of flow vs valve opening. Variation between cylinders, etc.

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
hey simon, i may have missed it but what club is this for? if its 6-pack im a member and would you have any of the old tech articles? i like reading them. thanks
Randy