• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Anyone know this wild MGB in northern Kentucky?

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
Hi,

My wife and son and I were on southbound I-75 early Saturday morning and slowly caught up with the most amazingly tricked-out MGB right around Florence, KY. Behind and from a distance, the car looked like it was carrying a folded card table on its convertible rooftop, but when we got closer we realized that the car was sporting a rear wing nearly two feet off the trunklid and at least five feet wide. I'm no expert on B's, but this one appeared to have started in life as an earlier one with chrome bumpers. This wild machine, painted a maroon-red that was possibly metalflake, also had nicely done flared/widened fenders and aero treatment on the nose, and best of all, a supercharger blower poking through a cutout in the hood. V-8 or V-6 conversion by appearances. Nice wide low-profile wheels and tires, of course, and the little guy was movin' right along--we were hitting eighty in our trusty Mazda just to catch up with him to get a better look. He had Kentucky plates.

He got off at one of the exits close to the airport, but that car was one of the wildest LBC mods I've ever seen on the road. It looked like a cross between a Pro Stocker and an IMSA sportscar--and a lot more serious than the usual slammed rice burner sedans you see everywhere.

Devotees to originality would shake their heads at this car in disbelief and dismay, but it really was an impressive piece of work. My 15-year-old son is always trying to get me to drop a V-8 into my Triumph or paint flames on the side--yes, he even tried to convince me to add a snacktray wing to the back, too. He thought the custom MGB was "sweet".

Does the owner of this MG frequent the MG forum, or does anyone know the guy? I'd love to hear more about the car, and see some images.

Best regards,

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
It may be the blown chevy v8 from Owensboro. Last time I saw it it was in primer, but that was 2 years ago. If it is the guy did a nice job on the conversion but it was not my cup of tea

It's owned by Jim Blackwood of Kentucky. Jim is a fantastic individual, a great enthusiast, and a talented engineer.

See this link:

https://www.britishv8.org/MG/JimBlackwood.htm

Please...no negative comments from the purists...please appreciate and enjoy the engineering feats that this MG now possesses.

OP
BritBox

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
Re: Anyone know this wild MGB in northern Kentucky

That's it!

The Jim Blackwood car was the one. The last image in that link was the same aspect my family and I saw, coming up from behind--that wing...wha?

Thanks for your help with identification. I'm not much into radical conversions of classics myself, but now I'm even more impressed by the car and its owner after seeing those detailed pictures of the work that was done. Amazing.

Best regards,

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag

...and yet the soul remains intact. Ya gotta love these cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

R.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Jim's car has some of the most interesting things I've seen on an MG!

The wing is engineered such that its pitch varies with the torque/power exerted upon the rear suspension..ala the Chapparels of the '60's.

This MG is truly amazing.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Looks like fun to this old dog.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

jeebus.... that's a whole lotta engine in that car!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

& Jim just has fun with it!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

And I don't blame him for it either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Holy camshaft, batman! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What, my liege?

JimBlackwood

Freshman Member

Thanks for the kind comments. Rick Ingram told me you'd spotted me, I was headed back home from taking the state real estate agent's exam in downtown Cincinnati, rather pleased with passing it. Mike, I'm not sure which car you were in, was it white by chance? I just signed on to this forum and uploaded a photo of the car if you'd like to look at it. I put it in the MG section, Jim's MGB. Again, thanks for the comments and if you're local to the area feel free to look me up. I've had the car since the late 70's, it's had a V8 since the mid 80's and I've certainly enjoyed it even though much of that time it was pretty rough. You guys are right, it is a pretty serious machine. Almost too serious anymore. But not quite ;-)

Jim

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hehe, welcome, no way they can get too serious. It's what turns you on. And others from time to time. Good on ya.

OP
BritBox

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful

Hi Jim,

It's nice to "out" you--welcome to the very cool British Car Forum. Thanks for posting the image of your car. I'll bet that thing's a rocket!

Yeah, that was us: the white Mazda Protege' with the woman's and boy's faces pressed against the passenger-side windows--my wife and son. I was having a hard time keeping my car in its lane while I, too, was checkin' out your bad ass machine.

Hope to see you around. Ever thought about coming up to British Car Days in Dayton, first weekend of August each year? Lots of MGs. None like yours!

Regards,

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Oh boy, put the hammer down and make sure you waved bye first.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Welcome, Jim!! Hey, did I leave the rubber gloves that I use for dumping the tanks on my RV at the table between our RV's up in Townsend? If I did, I hope they're working for you!!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

On the table, gosh I hope not.