• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Anyone know the owner ? Aluminum-bodied TR6

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi all,

Does anyone recognize the car shown in the attachment and know its owner? (Or, perhaps the owner reads this forum?) If I recall correctly, they are in San Francisco.

I talked with the owner in May, at the Dixon, CA car show.
Promised to send a lug nut to fit that right rear wheel, but lost the address!

If you can help, please email me directly at AMfoto1@aol.com

BTW: Intersting car! Handbuilt over ten years time. All aluminum body, TR6-power and sits on a shortened TR6 frame. Considering the weight-to-power ratio, it should go like the proverbial bat outta heck! Note the triple Weber DCOE setup.

Any assistance locating the owner would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

Attachments

• 122330-TR6_alu_special_a.jpg
    122330-TR6_alu_special_a.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 199

swift6

Yoda
I saw that car as an aside on an episode of "Rides" on TLC. It belonged to the master metal worker of a Hot Rod shop. He also had a very odd looking motorcycle. They showed them as other examples of his abilities. Don't remember the name of the Hot Rod shop though. The Proprietors last name might have been, or sounded like "Mole". Hope that helps some.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Alan:
Judging from the relation of the height of the carbs, the center of gravity must be extremely low. Great retro looking racer. I would like to have one of those in fiberglass!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I saw the car on that episode too. The guys an amazing metal former. If you didn't notice in the picture that Patton has the car was built at Moal's by Jimmy Milroy, and is owned now by Ed Adams.

OP
Alan_Myers

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi all,

Great info as always!

Yes, I remembered "Ed", but not his last name. Pretty sure about San Francisco, too. I'll look in the phone book, but if anyone has any additional info it would be more than welcome!

I wasn't aware he was showing the car at Dixon. When we chatted, he was getting ready to leave, the car was parked off the field and had no entry form.

I know Moal's Coachworks is in Oakland, CA, and they built one of Tim Allen's cars. They do pretty high-end custom work, most start around $100K, and a lot are aluminum bodied. They use Ferrari and Viper engines and other really outrageous stuff, plus some of their cars are years in design and development. I wasn't aware this car was built by one of their staff.

Yes, I understood from talking with Ed that he bought it from the guy who built it, over ten years time. It makes sense he was a "panel beater" from a very good shop. It was his personal car/project, which is probably why it's built on a modified TR6 frame rather than having the usual Moal's custom, tubular aluminum frame. Besides, if the TR6 motor puts out 150-200 hp, in a 1200-1500 lb car that should make for a real screamer! Probably a good choice!

Ed told me he's had one offer of a straight-across trade for a Ferarri. But, hey, they made hundreds of Ferarris and there's only one of these TR6 aluminum-bodied specials! Besides, you can tune up a TR6 2.5L for a lot less than the typical $1000 or more required to do a simple tune-up on a Ferarri.

I asked Ed if he got any flak from "purists" about his radiacally modified TR6. I agreed with him it's no big deal, they made 70,000 TR6s, after all! I have seen a lot of poor hack jobs that definitely devalue cars and don't do the originals justice. But, there are some top flight cars out there that are heavily modified to become very interesting, fun to own and drive, one-of-a-kind "specials".

By the way, Ed wears a "period" leather racing helmet when driving this car. The car's got no upholstery whatsoever. He's sitting directly on aluminum seats in an all aluminum cockpit. No top, no heater, no doors, Brooklands windscreens that don't do a lot. Just car, wind and lotsa LBC exhaust noise!

Yes, I imagine it's like riding on rails thanks to the very low center of gravity.

Anyone else at Dixon? What did you think of the "Bigfoot" V6-powered 4x4 Spitfire? (photo attached) That was another fun car!

It was nice to see 50+ Triumphs all in one place! Great show this year.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

Attachments

• 122466-2005_0003335_w.jpg
    122466-2005_0003335_w.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 80

Paul W.

I was also at Dixon. I took lots of photos which can be seen at Paul's photo page . That TR6 was one of my personal favorites at the show, along with the V8 MGs and a V8 TR3 in the parking lot (Tom White's car).

Great show.

OP
Alan_Myers

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]

I loved this one...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!

I have coveted Triumph Roadsters for years and have seen this particular car at several shows. The "rumble" seat and its flip up separate windshield are too cool!

If anyone is interested in building up a Roadster, I know where one is sitting! But, it's missing a lot more parts than it's got. Plus, it likely won't be cheap to buy and will cost another small fortune to properly put back on the road. (Too bad, I hate to see it just rusting away.)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L