• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone got a 1500 transmission lying around?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I asked Bill one day too late. Here's what I am looking for. I am trying to figure out a 5 speed swap - though I haven't actually decided if I even want to go that route. At any rate, I can measure most everything with the transmission in situ, but, if someone had a 1500 bellhousing and felt like tracing the shape and holes of both ends onto a piece of newsprint or some such paper and mailing it to me I would be grateful. I don't want to pull the engine for a maybe.

PM me for my address if it's something you could do. Thanks all

Jp,
I have a bell housing in a box out in the shed. could probably get to it tomorrow.

m

Morris

Yoda
I too have a bell housing in the shed. I may be able to get it out this weekend if mark does not beat me to it.

wonder of JP got snowed under...

m

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kellysguy said:
what you got in mind? Top Secret?

no real secret - and no real plan either.

Thinking about 5 speeds

this is a T9 conversion - which still requires body mods which I really don't want to do. On the plus side it is much cheaper than the riverside conversion.

On the other hand, I keep reading this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Turnbull_(autoindustry_executive)

basically, the line goes this way - existing 4 speed is adapted from the Marina, Hyundai Pony is adapted from a Marina - could it be possible that a Pony 5-speed could fit a Midget?

Now, Pony 5 speeds are about as common as 210 5 speed but much less costly.

All that being said, before I even try to look and certainly before I buy, I'd like to have some reference points to measure.

That's about all there is to it. so, either of you want to send it it would be awesome!

As for the snowed in, not sure if we dodged the bullet but we mostly had rain. about an inch of snow is all and it is mostly gone. That being said was supposed drop off my son at work and teach a class at 9 am, arrived at 10:50, the traffic was unbelievable, in part because I shouldn't let the non-driver choose the route. But, the ice was awful. On the bright side was supposed to do a presentation tonight and we canceled due to the weather.

Morris

Yoda
If you got the time and money to experiment with this, consider the Volvo M47 5 speed. Here's my logic on this one: The Volvo M47 is the same transmission (more or less) that was used in the TR7... which used the same 4 speed as the Midget 1500. The Volvo transmission in theory will be much easier to lay hands on. It was used in the 740 and 240 from the 80's to the mid 90's.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Happy to look into it - but (hint hint) someone still needs to flip a coin and decide who traces out the bell housing :smile:

I can see the box that it is in, gettin to it? well you havent seen my shed...fraid i was a bit busy movin snow yeserday. i do have access to some large format printing paper at work. I will dig it out in the morning.

m

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
SilentUnicorn said:
I can see the box that it is in, gettin to it? well you havent seen my shed...fraid i was a bit busy movin snow yeserday. i do have access to some large format printing paper at work. I will dig it out in the morning.m

please wait on Morris - nothing to dig out in Texas - let's wait for his reply

dklawson

Yoda
Morris said:
The Volvo M47 is the same transmission (more or less) that was used in the TR7... which used the same 4 speed as the Midget 1500.

Are you sure about that? The Spitfire 1500 and the Midget 1500 gearboxes should be the same. It's my understanding that while some of the parts are common between the TR7 box and the Spitfire box they are not interchangeable assemblies.

Regardless of what else you consider when looking at the gearbox selection, keep the clutch components and gearbox input shaft splines in mind. It would be very disappointing to layout everything and in the end learn you can't find a friction disk that will fit under your 1500's pressure plate.

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]please wait on Morris - nothing to dig out in Texas - let's wait for his reply[/QUOTE]

'cept the mountain of junk piled on top of the bell housing. :frown: If you want that bell housing... and can afford to ship it, I will drop it off with the UPS or FedEX guy on Monday.

OK I am going in...

Give me two hours if you dont hear from me by then- send in the rescue team

Cover Me!!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Morris said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]please wait on Morris - nothing to dig out in Texas - let's wait for his reply

'cept the mountain of junk piled on top of the bell housing. :frown: If you want that bell housing... and can afford to ship it, I will drop it off with the UPS or FedEX guy on Monday. [/QUOTE]

NO NO NO - don't want the bell housing - I have that! Just the tracing on the two ends with outside shape and hole locations - fold up paper, put in envelope - send.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
SilentUnicorn said:
OK I am going in...

Cover Me!!

Noooooo save yourself run man run!

JP

How is this?

G

SilentUnicorn said:
OK I am going in...

Cover Me!!

u-ohhh., better call out the dogs...it's been a while...

Morris

Yoda
You know what I have that I can send you that will be a lot cheaper to ship than the bell housing? The back engine plate... Heck, I think even I can afford to ship that. It's on me if you want it.

kellysguy said:
SilentUnicorn said:
OK I am going in...

Cover Me!!

u-ohhh., better call out the dogs...it's been a while...

The dogs helped! I could hear them Howling..and got my bearing back.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
SilentUnicorn said:
JP

How is this?

perfect - all I need, thanks so very much - I'll PM my address