• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Any specifics on a good scissor jack for MGB?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
While I've got the original style jack for the B, it seems most folks run some sort of scissor jack instead to carry in the car. I've got a road trip coming up next weekend in the B, and want to make sure I can at least change a tire. Any specifics I should have in mind before I go shopping?

Also, what would you use for jacking points with a scissor jack?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
drooartz said:
...Also, what would you use for jacking points with a scissor jack?
My AAA card

Drew, just talking about a flat tire is bad JU-JU

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We'll be in spots with no cell coverage, so best to be able to self-rescue if necessary.

Country flag
Drew...may seem like a no brainer but be sure to check the spare. And make sure you have the hub wrench and a 3' piece of pipe that will slide over the end of the hub wrench - leverage/torque is your friend. :smile:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mine is just HF.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Any small scissor jack will lift the B with no problem, just try to get one with a small collapsible handle. I carry one from Harbor Freight in the car trailer tool box and used it to jack one axle with a farm tractor on the trailer. Worked very well, very compact and didn't cost much either. PJ

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
If you have a local autowreckers, look at the jacks that come in Toyotas, Hondas, etc. I think mine's a Corolla jack (used with a plywood pad to protect the MGB) You should always use a jackstand, but in a pinch, at least put the other tire/wheel under the car as you are jacking it up.

You might even look at the one in your Fit and see if you could share that one (or just buy another one).

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, guys. I'll grab one from HF next time I'm down in the city -- no salvage yards close here. Hope to never have to use it, but don't want to be without one either.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know, I hear that frequently about being somewhere there isn't service. Must be tough to live in an area without cell towers.
You taking that B off roading?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Utah is a big place. You get up in the canyons or out between towns down south and you could be miles from anywhere. No cell towers since there are no people living there.

Kinda nice, really, but you do need to be prepared.

swift6

Yoda
You need lots of cell towers in canyons, the signals can be geographically limited, just like radio station signals.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yea ,I know, just giving you guys out in the "wide open" mountain areas a bad time!
You guys need to live in more crowded areas

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I grew up in the Northeast corridor between Boston and DC -- one big city (though even there I was in a small town in the country). Western open spaces and mountains suit me more. :thumbsup:

swift6

Yoda
It's populated enough around here (people really need to stop moving here :wink: ) but within a short less than an hour drive I can be in downtown Denver or sitting on a rock at 12,000 feet ovelooking thousands of acres of national parkland. It's more fun driving to the rock than Denver though.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Got one from Harbor Freight today, the land of "it'll do."

Certainly good enough for something I hope to never use, and fits in the original jack bag nicely. Done and done.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
DNK said:
You just need more cell towers
grin.gif

I totally disagree! Utah is a beautiful state without those ugly cell towers reminding us that man has been here destroying the natural land scape, leaving his ugly mark for posterity. Been in all the lower 48 states, some many times, and Utah is one of our favorites! The colors in those canyons are hard to match anywhere else. Went 70 miles one time to get bread and milk, the store was out of milk when I got there. God I love that state!
And, I didn't need a cell phone to keep me company! It's a shame that most people today have to have one stuffed in their ear 24/7 as a security blanket and panic if they forget it. JMHO. PJ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DNK said:
In CA they disguise them as trees

What - cell phones as trees? Not very portable, that...