• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any help or advice for accident repair?!?

CP77BJ7

Freshman Member
So I have been working on my BJ7 for a couple years now (thanks to everyone here) and yesterday an oblivious elderly man turned right on red directly in front of me. I have Hagerty insurance which I am being told is a great thing but I was wondering how I go about this? My car is almost perfect mechanically but definitely could use a respray. (The paint is in pretty rough shape) I know there is a lot of nastiness living below the paint so I am not sure what I am dealing with yet. My dilemma is that this car is a driver and will always be a driver so I am not looking to do a restoration...just a nice looking driver. Am I going to be stuck footing a bill to do the body work on the tail and driver's side? I wasn't planning on doing any body work but I can't imagine it makes sense to only paint the damaged areas as long as the car will be apart. I am at a total loss (no pun intended) on what to do and I would appreciate any help or advice from anyone that has been in this same situation. Thanks so much in advance for any guidance you can give. image(5).jpgimage(6).jpgimage(2).jpgimage(4).jpgimage.jpgimage(3).jpg

OP
C

CP77BJ7

Freshman Member
I should mention that I am very lucky to have a reputable Healey mechanic nearby and he recommended a reputable repair/restoration shop in the area that is familiar with AH. The car is currently at that shop.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey CP77BJ7,
Ouch, that hurt ! You should be in great shape with Hagerty as your insurance. I would assume they will have an adjuster come look at it but one thing I would really hold out for would be a complete respray as going to be almost impossible to match a red paint job unless it is brand new. I know they have all those hand held computers that scan the paint and supposedly come up with an exact match, but in my experience they never get it exactly correct. You will obviously have to repair the damage as shown and certainly looks repairable with either a good body man or new sheet metal - hold out for Kilmartin sheet metal ! So damage got into front shroud, fender, and cannot quite tell if the door got dinged too. But either way, they would have to replace or repair the fender ( looks like it needs replacing to me), straighten the headlamp area, maybe the hood, maybe the door, can't tell. If the adjuster just wants to do that and then respray those area only, you'll end up with a front shroud, right fender, maybe hood, maybe right side door and then will all that match the rest of the Healey ? Take off your stainless steel beading when they go to paint as never looks right if they try to tape it up. Anyway, I would really try to get a complete respray so everything matches !
Good luck,
Mike

OP
C

CP77BJ7

Freshman Member
Thanks Mike for your help. The fender is pushed into the door and it does not open. The hood is also bent and a hinge is either damaged or a weld broke connecting the hinge to the hood. The front shroud is literally folded over itself into the grill and I can't imagine that part is repairable. Also, the aluminum is torn where the screws attach to the fender. Being that the paint is pretty rough to begin with should I try to see if Hagerty would pick up any of the tab to paint the whole car or would they just laugh at me? I know I would be responsible for any prep work required for the rest of the car but I wonder if they would pick up the painting cost.

I went back out to look at it and there is definitely suspension/ steering damage too. :( Thanks again for the help as I have never dealt with something like this.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey CP77BJ7,
Even a bigger ouch if your aluminum shroud is damaged. It can be fixed but some body shops are not too good with aluminum, so make sure they are ! As to Hagerty picking up the whole paint job, again try to make the point that you are very concerned that the resprayed parts will not match the old paint and don't let them give you the line that where you get a break in the paint line, like the stainless steel beading or the doors, that you will not be able to pick up any difference in the color. I believe red is the toughest paint color to match so hold your position on that. But Hagerty's reputation is excellent and think they will work with you to get it back right. Another approach is when they come back with the total amount, maybe you can "work with" the body shop on the paint work so nothing or very little comes out of your pocket. If you take off all the trim from the undamaged areas and put it back on the body shop should cut you break as that is simply labor intensive. Be careful taking off the stainless steel beading and really careful putting it back on ! If you end up having to do it yourself, let us know and we can walk you through it.
Regards,
Mike

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey CP77BJ7,
Even a bigger ouch if your aluminum shroud is damaged. It can be fixed but some body shops are not too good with aluminum, so make sure they are !
Mike

Hagerty advertisers their parts locating service as a benefit. Call your adjuster and let him know about these free shrouds: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?92650-Free-Shrouds-SF-Bay-Area Even with shipping, would probably be cheaper than a repair. Maybe they'll be so grateful, they'll spot you a full repaint.

OP
C

CP77BJ7

Freshman Member
If you look at my last picture you can see how the aluminum folded over itself and is torn at the screws. I cannot imagine that the shroud is repairable. Also in the last pic, notice how the horizontal plastic piece between the bumper and shroud is gone? That shows how everything is pushed in about 4-6 inches. I am nervous that they may total it too. I think it may be a lot worse than in looks at first sight. The beading popped out above the headlight too so I imagine that the panels are torn there too. BTW, I think I had it insured for too little...$37,000. I had been meaning to raise it up another 10k but never got around to it. Never thought it would make a difference but I guess I underestimated the impact that one idiot driver could cause!!!

57_BN4

Writing it off may not be as bad as it sounds if you have the option of keeping the car and being paid out the insured cost minus the estimated repair cost. Unless your local regs require the registration to be cancelled in the process.

I'd second any comment about finding the right person to weld the aluminum shroud. Anyone can weld it but the question is how long do the welds last before cracking.

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Ouch! Was this considered your fault? If the other driver's fault doesn't his insurance have to cover the repairs and how would value be determined?

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I love the signature line from RestoreThemAll - "began Dec 2005, est complete 2023" ! Boy can I identify as had a 1949 MG TC that I began in 1983 and finished in 2000, started off as a labor of love and ended up just a labor !!!

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I love the signature line from RestoreThemAll - "began Dec 2005, est complete 2023" ! Boy can I identify as had a 1949 MG TC that I began in 1983 and finished in 2000, started off as a labor of love and ended up just a labor !!!

Bighealeysource,
I don't want to highjack this thread but I will say that through all the interruptions and road blocks I do keep the project going. Even if only through others efforts on this forum. I don't really have a choice. My son, 33 years old, and his niece/clone, 9 years old (my granddaughter) ask often "when are you going to get the healey on the road?"

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi cp7, I,m using I pad so forgive my syntax. I,ve been doing sheet metal and paint work since I was a teenager. Also do metal shaping, and at the tail end of a 4yr restoration on my Healey. Obviously without seeing your car it is hard to say anything exact. First most important is the frame. If it is bent including shock and spring mountings then I think you need a shop that is either familiar with healeys or is at the minimum a very reputable and experienced shop. Does your front wheel still look like it will roll straight and turn evenly. My next thought is that I would talk to haggerty. They are enthusiast just like we are and might lead you to the right shop. Then, know that any really good shop can put metal back on a car if you want a driver instead of a totally correct show winner. I would get another shroud. If you can,t get new shroud, yours can probably be straightened by a good aluminum metal man. There are repair sections available. Aluminum tig welders are around , I mean the craftmen. Just need to find one. Your door hinge pillar, latch pillar, rocker panels, etc can all be made right. THE FEAR HERE IS HOW MUCH RUST? If your inner sills and outriggers are rusted bad, then you just have to keep going till you have a solid car again. BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING. JUST WHAT'S WEAK. As far as paint match, any good body shop can match paint. Just tell them if you don,t like the color blend that you expect then to do it over till they get it right. they,ll get right on the first go around. I painted my Corvette almost 30years ago, 15 years ago my daughter got the front end crunched. I redid the front end and painted it with base coat, clear coat and blended it into the acrylic enamel back half (which I use the previous 30yrs) right across the doors and you can,t tell it to this day. Well, good luck. Dave.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Be careful in getting new parts rather than repairing the old ones. There can be significant differences in the dimensions between parts.