• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another Tonneau question

M

Mike

Well I'm glad to report that my brake job is complete ( cylinders, hoses and brake pads) and I got back on the road today. It was about 70 degrees in Austin and was a pleasant drive. It's been way to long!

Now I wanting to purchase a tonneau cover for my 58 Sprite. I have non stock seats (stock maybe one day) and I noticed the rear of the seat is behind the tonneau rail post receivers. Can someone send me a picture that shows the correct position of the top of the back of the seat in relation to the rail post receivers. It appear that a yonneau rail would not be back enough when installed and interfere with the back of the seats. Is my assumption correct?
Thanks,
Mike

IMG_0840.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
??? Not sure what you mean. The tonneau would go over the metal body behind, but above, the seats... hooking to the same posts/clips as the top (on a BE). Based on the your photo that doesn't show any previous posts for the "short" type, you need the "long" type. It will end up starting about 1 foot back of the seats on top of the body.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
There is no tonneau bar for a Bugeye- they only started on the MkII when the opening went back further. The sockets are only for the top bows.
BillM

OP
M

Mike

Boink said:
??? Not sure what you mean. The tonneau would go over the metal body behind, but above, the seats... hooking to the same posts/clips as the top (on a BE). Based on the your photo that doesn't show any previous posts for the "short" type, you need the "long" type. It will end up starting about 1 foot back of the seats on top of the body.

Thanks for the reply. My understanding is that there is a tonneau rail set that fits in the post receiver next to the seat in my picture. I'm assuming that rail gives support to the cover and possibly be what you folded the drivers side down over when driving the car. The tonneau rail set is is pictured in the Victoria British catalog on page 25.

OP
M

Mike

Billm said:
There is no tonneau bar for a Bugeye- they only started on the MkII when the opening went back further. The sockets are only for the top bows.
BillM

Thanks Bill. It's confusing when I look at the catalog.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yep, the early ones are simple with no additional hardware (or rail/bar). When you order one it will come with a set of the usual clips... which you'll have to install (because every car is a little different when it comes to the position of the posts). Again, unless you want to order a "short" one (which will require the addition of new posts right behind the seats on the top of the car), you'll need a "long" one.

You should be able to get one for about $220 (more with Moss, etc.) and in my case I paid an expert to install it (with me helping stretch things) for $80 more. It's a very tight fit when you go to stretch it for cutting the holes for the fittings... and I think it takes a couple of guys (and it's handy to have the necessary punches, though not essential).

I'm always a little amused when I see one for sale that is little used but has all the clips on it for "discounted" price (to, say, $180), because it's a huge gamble that all the posts are exactly like your own car. :yesnod:

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The later cars with a boot (trunk) had the cockpit longer behind the seats, so they used a bar to support the tonneau. The bugeyes do not. This is the long version which attaches at the rear two top clips. I've heard that if the driver's side is only folded down, the passenger side can flop, causing abrasion on the paint. Some people put additional padding under the tonneau behind the cockpit to prevent that.
Scott in CA.

Attachments

• 27587.jpg
    27587.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 184

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
For those of you who have roll bars, has anybody made a tonneau to fit around the bars? If not, I might just have to make one. My second midget has a bar and I would like to put it back in because its the rubber bumper version and sits a bit taller and more chance of rolling over. I didn't realize the early midgets had that bar to keep the tonneau up. I guess the need went away with the flip down top models because the top folded under there tends to hold up the tonnea on those.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I had a local shop cut and edge a hole for the bar.
It was very reasonable and the guy did it in about 20 minutes
while I watched.

Attachments

• 27591.jpg
    27591.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 142

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And there are those flappy things (I posted about in another thread). I still haven't installed the additional snaps so-as to fold them down and attach them behind the seat.