• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another, oh! just the same old electrical short!

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Well, with a British car that is watched over by Lord Lucas like my '73 Jensen Healey Mk.I you can only be sure that you will have electrical problems, again and again.

I have a short in my horn circuit, it's not at the horn down stream but... seemingly in the horn lever, somewhere I've "fixed it" 3 X and the same problem seems to re-appear. The circuit will be fine then the lower fuse in the fuse block will blow and no horn! My turn signals work but the horn lever and switch is having problems.

Not having a horn as low and light as we are is dangerous when the monster trucks and SUV’s driven by fools with their stereo’s up to 110 dbs and a cell phone stuck… in their ear, pulling over on you with very few options… and no horn.

I wondering out loud if it wouldn’t be better to install a horn button in place of the cig.lighter and be done with it. Any ideas?

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
Jim,

Your problem is most likely in the cabling in/on the steering column. Good Luck. I would persevere and fix it... No WAY would i be putting one of those horn button thingies on My JH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif
Also, just some food for thought... Do you really think any of those jerks you just described can hear your 75 - 95 db LBC horn? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Please, defensive driving must be the religion of we LBC owners. Watch out for the other jerk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Your horn won't help, unless you want to get the attention of that fine, young ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Mike

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
You could always install some of those Italian Fiamm air horns.....mama mia!! Wonderful noise. You may need to re-wire the horn, but I would be reluctant to install a button in the lighter socket.

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
When I firse purchased my JH the first thing I did was get the 118db Hella horns and replace the peeper that was on it. I had Hellas on my cobra replica and it woke a few folks from their stuper. Seriously I have no problem loosing the lighter scoket, I don't smoke and besides it's rotted out, I was going to machine a plug for it anyway.

V

vagt6

Jim, I had the same problem on my GT6. The PO installed a couple of VERY loud horns using the old wiring. I blew fuses and lived without a horn for months, then finally rewired them. I agree, there's nothing worse than a horn failure in today's five o'clock traffic, especially when you're in a GT6 looking up at everyone's SUV hubcaps!

New horn wiring = No more horn problems.

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Mark;

Glad to know it's not just me. LOL The JH is even lower, I'm often looking up to guys in Miatas and BMW Z3 & 4's.

I previously owned a Cobra replica and I loved it, hated to give it up. The JH is the closest thing in feel and is as rare as origonal Cobra's. As an aside, I parked next to a Cobra at a show recently and I was stunned at how much smaller the JH is that a 427 Cobra replica.

V

vagt6

Jim, you indicate your JH is powered by Lotus. I'm not very familiar with these. Is it a Lotus 4 cylinder engine? Would you be able to post us a pic of your car?

OP
J

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Mark;

I have a few shots in the gallery. The JH's were powered by the Lotus 907 engine, twin overhead cam naturally and belt driven (basically 1/2 of a V-8 45 degree angle). They are typical of developmental Lotus engines, almost every one had slight improvements over the life of the manufacturing cycle (3 years), slightly different from engine to engine. It is the grandparent of todays Lotus engines.

I just had the roll bar raised 3" and added a forward FIA style bar adding considerable strength and when I called SCCA I found out it is approved for Solo II which is a plus.

Over the weekend I discovered that the valve guides are shot, my Black Beauty is followed by clouds of black smoke, darn, it is always something.

Write me if you would like more info. I'm gonna try and post the new photos today. Thanks.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jim, clouds of black smoke would seem to indicate a mixture that is too rich, rather than valve guides. Guides create clouds of bluish white smoke.
Check your plugs and see if they aren't black and fluffy.
Then make sure your chokes are opening all the way.
Jeff

V

vagt6

Very nice car, and thanks for the explanation. I've always admired the Lotus, mostly since the Europa was introduced way back when (1970 ish?).

Good luck with the smoking problem, maybe you'll get lucky and it won't be so hard to repair.

Cheers!

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
907's were sold in the US until 1980 at least in the Elite/Eclat.

The turbo version was sold here until about '97 in Esprit. Lots more than 3 years. But it was continuously improved over that period.

My 7 is kind of low and small too. I can place my palm flat on the pavement without leaning over in the driver's seat. Driving it you face Miata's squarely in the license plate. The hood is lower than the top of the low profile 13" tires. The top of the windshield is 39" off the ground. The weight is about half that of an MGB, early Miata, or early JH at just under 1100lbs with all fluids.

I actually drag it to the side in the garage by hand to make more room in there to park the other stuff.