• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Am I Paying Too Much?

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
This is probably a stupid question as I've already put a bid in on this auction. But anyway. My grille is toast. I saw this one on ebay and put in a bid before I really thought about it. It's been almost a week now and no one has out bid me! Maybe they will at the last minute. I guess I'm having bidding remorse as there are soooooo many other things my bugeye needs. Tho eventually, I will need a new grille.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...58807%26fvi%3D1

I also hate it when a seller puts in more information on all his buying "rules" than he doesn on the item discription.

Country flag
Looks like it will need rechroming. How bad is yours? Most likely some person will outbid you before the auction is over. EBay is generally a seller's market.

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Am I paying too much?[/QUOTE]

When buying parts for your LBC the answer to that question is always "YES." Or at least according to my wife anyway.

OP
John Moore

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
the one of my car is completely toast. Rusted and pitted. The lower grille, was cut away and replaced with some sort of expanded metal.

Well if I do "win" either it will make nice garage art or I can get it rechromed!

That will teach me to drink beer and look at ebay! LOLOL!

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
John

I am just concerned because the pictures are not very clear. If it is an original one and you pay to get it rechromed, it may not be that bad of a deal. From what I have heard from Jack and others is that they have gotten rather expensive.

I remember restoring my car a long time ago and getting a nice nos for $100. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Pat

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I paid 285 for a NOS one that I bolted straight on. Nothing required, but then I got lucky.

OP
John Moore

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
lol! Just since I posted this, someone out bid me! Yes, I'll need a grille someday, bur right now I need to concentrate on the brakes, engine and body.

BTW - what should a decent used grille go for?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think if it was me I would wait till Tony gets back from Germany and see what he has available.

Woops, that's a Bugeye grill. Let me PM you an email of someone who has one.

Speedy_Pete

Jedi Trainee
I personally wouldn't bid on that one for the simple reason that the seller has something against Paypal. In my experience it's the most secure and quickest way of paying, and if you get schtooped by the seller you can normally get your money back.
There'll be another grill at some point, you just have to be patient. In the mean time take the current grill off if it's too bad, all the extra air going in might give you an extra 1/4bhp...

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thoroughly agreed--also, I'd like to suggest a boycott of sellers who rudely dictate what they will accept and what buyers have to do to earn the honor of their business. No store that treated customers that way would stay in business.

OP
John Moore

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I totally agree! I hate it when I see an auction that says more about his buying rules than what he's selling.

bugimike

Yoda
Well, John, if it makes you feel any better, I have been following that auction with an eye to taking a snipe at it in the final moments, but since it is one of "us" bidding, go for it, I will bow out!! PS: I do not think that's a bad price for a usable one, especially when really nice OEM or re-chromed ones are going in the $280-295+ range!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

PS Jack, you can PM me too if you wish!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
John Moore

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Mike,

I'm out so go for it! Really, I need to worry about brakes, engine, SU's, body panels and other stuff right now.

But yeah, it appears to be a good core to get chromed.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you pay anything getting close to about 20% below Moss catalog price, you're paying too much...unless its a rare item you just want!

bugimike

Yoda
John Moore said:
Mike,

I'm out so go for it! Really, I need to worry about brakes, engine, SU's, body panels and other stuff right now.

But yeah, it appears to be a good core to get chromed.

Ooops! Should've been checking the forum more closely!! Wasn't watching and missed the end! Oh well, there'll be more...there always are! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif