• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

alternate to plating?

Hawkscoach

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Gentlemen, this is getting exciting to be putting parts back on! Several smaller electrical bits I would like to install before putting the engine/trans back in. What do you guys use to "plate" the metal on these parts. Are there alternatives to sending out. for example: Flasher relay cover...........thanks, Doug

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Bead blast and chrome paint. Does not look chrome at all like advertise but it does look similar to a silver cad plate. Eastwood also sells paints to mimic plated parts, but I find the chrome plate does the same for less.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Although I have never done it I have heard some people will spray a clear coat finish (as used with modern automotive topcoat paints) on unfinished metal surfaces.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hawkscoach,

There are DIY cad and zinc plating kits available to brighten small metal parts. Is that what you are looking to do?

OP
H

Hawkscoach

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
thanks guys! yes, CLEAh, I am trying to get the look close to the original. If I bead blast they will be a rough almost primer look (although the rust will be gone). I also have an "environmentally friendly" water based fluid from Eastwood (pricey) that works ok on lightly rusted bits. I have seen many of restored AH pictures and wasn't sure what to use.................thanks, Doug

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
thanks guys! yes, CLEAh, I am trying to get the look close to the original. If I bead blast they will be a rough almost primer look (although the rust will be gone). I also have an "environmentally friendly" water based fluid from Eastwood (pricey) that works ok on lightly rusted bits. I have seen many of restored AH pictures and wasn't sure what to use.................thanks, Doug
I had all my parts CAD plated and baked. It is brighter and shinery than the orginal Zinc plating. CAD adds a few thousands to the thickness to the parts and those that are worn will have/could their original thickness restored. Cost was about $40 (plus/minus), for a gallon paint can full. I've had a couple of guys on the BCF ask me where to get CAD done and I gave them a Contact in the Ft worth, TX area that I use. They responded back that they were happy with the work and service.

Country flag
I've used the Eastwood zinc plating kit, got good results but there are a couple things you need to know. First, the parts must be absolutely clean and derusted. And small flakes in a pit or trapped in threads or such can leave a streak in the plating. Ans second, the battery source to power it is way too small for any piece of any size. I use an old toy train controller to run the plating. Depending in the size of the piece I adjust the "throttle" up or down since it controls the DC current. When complete, rinse off with water, dry and buff lightly with very fine steel wool.