• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Air Filter Removal

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
On the subject of simplifying air Filter removal. I measured the amount of stud sticking out from nut, bought some alum tubing from Ace Hardware of stud o.d., cut piece length of exposed stud so now when replacing fltr, first I put on alum tube then only abbreviated turning of nut needed. Also bought cheap 1/2" open end wrench and ground off most of "hip" thus allowing for more degrees of turn before repositioning wrench.
Jay, '65 3000

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Re: Air Fltr Remvl

Good idea jay. Have you found a way to clean the air filters without destroying the decals yet?

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag

NEthng 2 sv stps, bt 4 me the wrst prt is gtng the gdmd nt strtd on the std.

Very, very irreverent Bob. Fnny as hl thogh, and I ws actlly abl t fig out wht u wr sayng! :highly_amused:

OP
W

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

The weirdness is that I have no twitter nor facebook accts, have cell phone only for backwoods activities, no laptop nor tablet, etc. I even stared at my own acronyming and I decided it must be infectious textwitteritis. Anyhow, if the stud and the nut are very clean--loose fit--use my little finger on the outside of the nut to hold up against the stud and then finger on other hand to turn the flat and it usually catches, only do with a clean garage floor for easy finding of nut when it falls and a wand with magnet on end for when it falls but does not make it to floor. Also all this occurred because of balky choke cable, turned out a single strand from one carb choke cable was unwound back up into metal housing and although choke would pull out, when shoved in, that carb cable stuck. After removing all three cables including pulling dash cable inner out of the outer housing, holding breath it actually went all way back in. ordered new carb cables and thought up idea of putting dab of solder on end of new cables to keep them from unwinding, lo and behold new cables (Moss) had that already done to the end.
Jay, '65 3000

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Hi Jay,
No problem, and certainly no offense meant! It's Friday and the temperature is finally above freezing here in Utah. It's hard to be too serious about anything.

Back on the subject, though, I'm amazed that given the number of technically gifted people on this forum, no one has come up with a really good solution to this annoying problem. I have a tri-carb, and that back nut on the third carb is dang near impossible to get on.

Keith

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Haven't I read somewhere, that someone, (sorry, memory fails) helicoiled the hole in the carb so that only the bolt is required? No nut makes things much easier. Could be wrong, but I seem to recall this being done.

Lin

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I 'solved' that problem when I put K&N filters on. Now all I have to deal with is two little acorn nuts that go on the front plate of each filter; you know, in the small cavity between the filters and the large fresh air vent. Actually, I think it's worse than dealing with the studs and nuts.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I 'solved' that problem when I put K&N filters on. Now all I have to deal with is two little acorn nuts that go on the front plate of each filter; you know, in the small cavity between the filters and the large fresh air vent. Actually, I think it's worse than dealing with the studs and nuts.
Not if you place a large rag under the carbs to catch them!:smile: