• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ah wonderful starters

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So I have been driving the spitfire around loving how it drives now and having no problems with it whatsoever, even the stromberg is playing nice. So what happens, the starter drive dies. Well it just goes to prove that it is always something with these no matter how small. Oh well should have a new drive on monday or tuesday so no big loss really.

64Spitfire

That’s why I always park on a hill if possible, and then a "pop start" is available. Living in Florida this is more challenging then you would think.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I've been real tempted to buy one of those new gear-reduction starters for the Spridget...I like the way they sound. The starter in my car right now is built-up from 4 old "junk" starters (OK, I'm cheap).

My first Triumph (a TR3) had a crank starter. This turned out to be a great way for a poor college kid to save on battery costs!

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I remember my starter going on my '71 Saab 99, I drove it to & from work for 3 weeks until I finally got a replacement. Fortunately my apartment & office were both on hills. It did take some stradegy to be sure I could "roll start" at each end of my trip. Oh yes, youth is wasted on the young!

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sadly, both my home and my place of work are no where near any hills. Nial, I got a gear reduction starter once because I got tired of messing with this one and trying to make it work all the time. When I got it though it would not go on with the fuel pump on the car (you'd think they would tell you something like that when you order it.). SO I sent it back and put my good ole starter back on, ok not goold ole but just ole starter. I am thinking of putting on an electric pump now, rigging up a crank case vent where the fuel pump mounts, and then maybe getting a gear reduction starter again.

Izual Angel

Jedi Trainee
Walt - It'd be a little easier to just use a blanking plate over the hole where the fuel pump is. Also remember - Lo pressure electric pump... You'd have a real waterworks going on if that fuel was at 50-60PSI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Walt - It'd be a little easier to just use a blanking plate over the hole where the fuel pump is. Also remember - Lo pressure electric pump... You'd have a real waterworks going on if that fuel was at 50-60PSI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or use a pressure regulator. Simple to install. At least with these smaller cars they can be push started. Think of pushing an SUV!! I can push start my Mini by myself.

Izual Angel

Jedi Trainee
Pressure regulators are generally for small changes to the pressure. You want to find a pump that pumps at a psi close to what you need, and then if fine adjustment is required you buy the regulator.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yeah I am going to steal the pump of my dads pcik-up which is a low pressure one. But thanks for the advice anyway.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention, the increased power from rebuilding the head has made the car much more enjoyable to drive. I wish I had done that two years ago.