• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Aftermarket Radio Install

BASS

Ok, I have a broken 1980's radio mounted in my console, and want to put in a new cd head unit. Any tips/tricks I need to know before i tackle this?

Will these modern day cd units easily fit in the console, and are there any modifications I need to do? Also, how would it even mount in the console (theres no kits you can buy thats plug-n-play like modern cars, i.e. usinf the radio sleeve that the radio just slides into and locks into place)..

Also, theres no plug-n-play wiring harneses for MGs so I wouldnt need to cut up the factory radio wire harness..Actually, it must be cut up/spliced already since theres an aftermarket one in the car now already...oh well...

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
a budy of mine cut and weld a little box though the fire wall to get mine to fit and you can only change cds in 2nd and 4th gears.
stick it in the glove box thats what im doing on my healy
steve

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Modern radios fit the consoles. Just make sure the antenna lead comes in from the side, not the back. You may have to tilt the console out at the bottom 1/2", just use the side ear mounting screws and not the front lower screws.
As for a harness, you have to wire it up yourself.
Skip the power antenna, run the yellow wire to the cig lighter power lead for memory. Speakers are labeled.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Yup... some have noted that the CD won't be accessible unless the shifter is back in 2nd or 4th.

Considered a unit with MP3 / ipod / bluetooth capability, so you can use your phone / ipod / memory stick?

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I used an older am/fm cassette player that fits in fine and then put a 6 disc cd changer in the trunk that works through the antenna on 89.1 fm. No cutting or filing and my speakers are up in the kick panel corners and in the back and have a 300 watt amp that makes them sound good and can be heard well on the interstate with the top down.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Spare XM Radio that I have is going into Bugsy. Miata Headrest Speakers sound awesome along with the 6 x 9's in the back panel. I put a Bass Block capacitor in the headrest so Bass overload doesn't blast those 3 1/2" speakers in the headrests.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
regularman said:
I used an older am/fm cassette player that fits in fine and then put a 6 disc cd changer in the trunk that works through the antenna on 89.1 fm. No cutting or filing and my speakers are up in the kick panel corners and in the back and have a 300 watt amp that makes them sound good and can be heard well on the interstate with the top down.

Is the head unit analog or digital? I'm trying to figure out if an FM transmitter will work with the original AM/FM radio? I presume it should - frequency is frequency right?

While we're at this, Anyone have a spare set of knobs and the "chrome" spacers behind the knobs for an old ('76) radio? The PO took out the radio - I have the radio but not the hardware.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, my cd changer thing will work with a regular analog FM radio. It has this deal that plugs into the antenna and then the antenna wire plugs into it. Just tune it in like a station and then use the little remote thing to change discs. I forgot to show people my front speakers at the show, but here is a pic of them and one of my trunk.
100_1398-1.jpg
100_1397.jpg

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Speakers look good. I had made some front foot well boxes like that on my Opel GT, too close to the leg though, my left shin folded up the speaker like it was paper during the head on collision that killed that GT (but not me). Don't make such things too sturdy I guess is my point, let them disintegrate if they have to.
I have to build a rear 'deck" speaker panel, convert to negative earth and then convince my wife that it's okay to cut up my custom oak dash to install a stereo. I won't have tunes for a while!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Put the radio under the dash in the top of the pasenger foot well. I had a cb there long ago and it was fine and out of sight.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Maybe I'll try mounting it on an angle in front of the shifter, pointing up at 45 degrees or so. Looks like clearance will be okay. Not worried about cds, use an iPod but still like the radio too. Not too obvious, can still get at the controls, don't have to mess with the dash. Not sure what to do about an antenna though, really don't want to drill into the fender for the traditional mount. Something clamped onto the luggage rack might work.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Check out Hot Rod Type catalogs. They sell Hidden FM Antennas. Frank C. I know hgas used them. No idea on brand / source.

If you've got a radio console standard sized AM/FM /CD /MP3 will fit. Sometimes need to have bottom of console out 1/2" or so tilted back. MAke sure antenna connction is on the side exit not the back for clearance purposes./

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I've read the hidden antennas stink, still need clear shot to the sky and no AM. I'll probably end up biting the bullet and mounting an original looking antenna in the original spot. Picked up some oak ply for the rear deck. PO had a peg board covered in vinyl that wouldn't stay put and is coming apart so I'm rebuilding that anyway. Got oak in case I decide to finish the oak to match the oak dash, not sure how that'd look, maybe pretty stupid? Otherwise I'll cover it in vinyl or carpet like stuff. Going to do 2 6" round, tweeters and crossovers. Same setup that came out of my trashed Opel. Sounded pretty good in there, should be fine in the Midget too, for those rare occasions where the sound of the Monza exhaust isn't enough.
No radio console, it's an MK1 so the area ahead of the shifter is empty. Thinking of a little enclosure around the radio itself, covered in black vinyl and that's it. Should work out alright. Save me from the wife who gives me looks that could kill when I mention cutting up the dash.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As for hidden antennas, I mounted my regular fender mounted antenna in the space behind the front fender.
Haven't had any problem with reception.
I found this out as I literally forgot that it was down there after patching up the hole in the fender where it was previously mounted,
reception was just fine so I mounted it permanently there.
Was going to get one of those hidden jobs,but as it turns out, no need.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Having a bit of trouble visualizing where this is, inside the fender?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
There is more room down there to lose stuff than you can imagine. AM reception won't be worth a darn but will work fine on FM.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Too true.
Found an assortment of nuts, a few washers and half a forest of old leaves
down there when I pulled my fenders.
Never thought of checking AM reception since I never use it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
rulle7 said:
Too true.
Found an assortment of nuts, a few washers and half a forest of old leaves
down there when I pulled my fenders.
Never thought of checking AM reception since I never use it.

probably just as well, nuts, a few washers and half a forest of old leaves did nothing for my reception anyway :lol:

Country flag
I mounted a powered antenna in the trunk. It is located pretty close to the filler cap. I does not take up much trunk room and it works well. I chose the location because I do not like antenna's on the front of cars, and I didn't want to worry about the antenna when I put the cover on the car.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Miss Agatha has no radio but does have an antena to fill the hole on the cowl. A 9 dollare Moss one that manualy retracts and came with a rubber cover for when it is down.