• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Advice on Bike, [not pedal] from the group NOT LBC

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi All:

Well, the gas prices are really getting to me; what with my 14 mpg Land Cruiser.

I just run a 10 mile round trip down side roads to the train station daily, but the gas prices are still adding up.

So, besides my 250 at 21 ish mpg I was thinking about a used 500-750cc bike.

It would be my first bike & am hoping to get something for under $2k.

I really like the style of the Honda CB 500-750's.

Any input from the group would be welcome.

Thanks!

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
hi gary, i have a modern sport bike and my tr6 as everyday drivers. the first thing you should do is take the motorcycle safty foundation course and get your license, and see if you really like riding or if you have the ability to. riding a bike takes a lot of concentration and skill that you dont use in a car. as far as gas mileage, yes you get better mileage but you end up paying a lot of money for the correct riding gear and motorcycle maintainence if you dont do it yourself, and if you do the prices are still high for parts. for instance, chains are about 150 bucks, and tires each are around 250 for my bike. saftey gear is important and takes a lot of money. its easy to get hooked on bikes too and spend money on them. they are great fun but you always have to be watching out for other people on the road, even more so thn driving a triumph. you have to know your own limits and not push them or it ill get you killed. you have to be humble on a bike or you get hurt. dont think that because you have driven fast or powerful cars you can safely handle a bike, its a different ball game. overall though you may not save much money owning a bike. hope that helps
Randy

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Re: Advice on Bike, [not pedal] from the group NOT

I've got one of those modern Triumphs, and it's a fantastic bike. Low 40s for MPG, and looks great. Not the cheapest, though.

For the under $2k price, look for 80s or early 90s Japanese bikes. Not the most exciting, but reliable and many (especially the smaller displacement bikes) get great mileage. Kawasaki's 500cc Ninja (not really a sport bike) has been around for ever and is reliable and economical.

Randy nailed the economics -- MPG better, but there are other costs as well. For a short commute like yours, you might do well on a scooter or old Honda 90 -- higher MPG and cheaper to run. Heck, for a 10 mile round trip on side roads get a decent used road bicycle and get some exercise to boot.

R

RonMacPherson

Find someone who has a stack of Motorcycle Consumer News to see if you can peruse them.

Then, for the price range you're talking, I also recommend a used Japanese bike. Reason, reliability and cost of repairs.

Go to any bike shop and test sit to see which type of bike fits you best.

I prefer an FJ1200 from 92. It's big enough to get out of the way of anything that chases me, small enough where I can park where mopeds park, Gets me 40 mpg, and it fits me(I'm 6'3" and 245 lbs) And repairs are darn near nil. I've got 130K on mine and just had to go through the carbs for about 250. Change oil every 6 months, whether it needs it or not(with synthetic oil). Keep GOOD tires on it, GOOD chain(not the cheapies) and it'll go forever.

And do take the riders course. When you sign up for the course see if they let you take your bike, or they provide one, some places do things differently.

crj7driver

Jedi Trainee

I have a Honda RC51, which is pretty much too fast and violent for the streets. I also have a 2000 Honda Nighthawk 750 (CB750) this is the bike I ride two up on and it is a great bike. If you take a motorcycle safety course, like riding, you can definitely handle the Honda 750's. FWIW, the CB750 was voted the best motorcycle of all time.

The CB750 is a very competent bike, it doesn't do anything great but does everything very well. It make a great all around bike. I find it very relaxing and enjoyable to ride, compared to my RC; that thing still scares me. The Nighthawk has hydraulic lifters and about the only maintenance it requires is oiling the chain and changing the oil. If you want really low maintenance you could also look at a shaft drive but stay with a Japanese bike, preferably a Honda if you want low initial, operating and upkeep costs.

Whatever you do get proper safety gear, wear it ALWAYS, and take an MSF class.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag

Get a vintage Vespa! (i.e. a "shifter" with a clutch and transmission) I have a '65 GLA - decent glovebox, about 50-70 mpg, looks cool, top speed about 50 mph (which can be improved on, given a tuned exhaust, new head, etc. Mine is stock). Besides, there is the cool "two stroke smoke" smell of the exhaust!

Cost... between 2 and 5k, depending on condition and type.

If you are in MA, there is JavaSpeed in Providence:
https://www.javaspeed.net/root/index.html

Great place, even if just to stop in for a cup of coffee.

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Thanks guys, my initial idea of a Honda seems to hold up. I'll keep my eye out for a mid 80's 500-750 CB.
BTW I was in Boston Motor Sports this morning & they had a 90% original 600 mile 1970 Triumph Bonneville 600. Really sweet looking; all for only $19,000!

A little too rich for my blood.

I'll keep you all posted.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

Hi Gary,
From someone who has been doing it for 50 years on both the street & in competition. With no crashes on the street.

Riding a motorcycle on the street requires the ultimate in defensive driving. Total awareness of everything & all vehicles around you plus anticipating every other drivers possible actions. Complete mastery of machine control under all conditions & did I say, mind reading?

Wet weather & cold are very miserable even with the ultimate in protective gear.

Many years ago, I used getting a bike for gas savings as an excuse to get one. Soon found this to be a joke. If you are looking for cheap commute, you would find a small car more comfortable & safer. If you want excitement, the folks above have good suggestions.
D

D

DougF

If you have never ridden, I would start out at the bottom of your scale and move up as you get more experienced.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

Our local police department says that something like 90% of all motorcycle crashes occur with riders that have less than 6 months riding experience.
D

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Once you improve your riding skills buy a used 80's BMW with a fairing - you'll never go back.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior

Three words on riding a motorcycle/scooter:

Defense, Defense, Defense.

I spent a good deal of time on an aircraft carrier flight deck. At the time I was told it was the second most dangerous job in the world and I would beleive it.

The best way to survive the flight deck, or motorcycle riding, is to assume that everyone else out there is actively trying to kill you, even your best friend.

I ride a Yamaha Vino 125, a motorscooter (85 MPG). I am constantly watching and asking, whats the worst thing that could happen right now, and how do I react to it.

Constantly.

Riding my motorscooter makes me feel safe while driving my TR3.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Or one of these antiques!

Attachments

• 10873.jpg
    10873.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 152
D

DougF

I drive all of my vehicles with that attitude. It's not safe out there regardless of what you are driving. People are too busy doing or thinking of other things when they should be concentrating on the task at hand (and foot).

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Zblue:

Don't even go there! Looks like way too much fun/$!!

Thanks for all the good advice fells, I do however know after driving for more than 30+ yrs, 25 LBC's that I've left my wild side behind me. (wife & kids to think about); but as well said it's all the other crazies out there!

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee

How about a 74 Norton Commando, totally restored for 15K? I know you only wanted to spend 2k, but what's and extra 13k?

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee

heh, keep a set of wrenches around for tightening every nut and bolt after you take it for a spin......

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee

Yea, that and kick starting it keeps you in shape, you could cancel you gym membership! All jokes aside, it ain't a bad bike, except for the kick starting thing, expecially in the cooler months. Don't suspect it's really worth 15 either...

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Gary,

Old British, German and Japanese bikes are another hobby of mine, probably a lot of guys on the list do the same. It sounds like you'd be using this bike to commute, leaving it in a parking lot all day in the sun/rain/etc. Accordingly, it would be a shame to get a decent early bike and subject it to those conditions. Plus most vintage bikes won't stand a soaking rain in a parking lot without various issues upon your return.
So I would recommend a new, more plastic bike. Seems like folks love their Kawasaki KLR650 bikes. It is rugged, been made a long time, you can find one used close to your budget, you can get parts for it, and it will let you wander off the pavement for a run in the dirt. You can also get saddlebags, which is good for commuting. Once you get saddlebags,it is hard to go bag, just ask the airhead BMW crowd.

Good luck. Jeff
p.s. there is a 73 Honda 350/4 on ebay right now, a red one with about 7000 miles, I used to own (in fact the pictures are ones I took when I sold it). That is a good little bike in case you decide not to take any of my advice!