• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Advice on a Triumph GT6

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
I know this may not fit our spridget forum well, but I guy I know is GIVING away a 1969 Triumph GT6. I haven't seen it yet, so don't know it's condition. Is anyone familiar with this car? what is the parts availability like? is it a car worth undertaking a restore on?

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
I have never had one, nor know much about them, but always liked the way they look.

Bugeye58

Yoda
John, provided it hasn't been wrapped around a tree, or is rusted in half, the price is certainly right.
Parts availability is pretty good, and it shares a lot of bits with Spitfires.
As with any of our cars, restoration is generally a labor of love. If you plan on doing it and making a profit on the deal, forget it.
I've got a '67, that I did a frame off resto on, and I guarantee I'd never get my money back, but I never plan on selling it, so don't care.
You may get more responses if you post this in the Triumph section.
Jeff

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
They are great cars - totally different to drive than a spridget. When healthy, they are quick and torque-rich.

That model year will have a rear Axel design that can be a bit, um, tricky in the wet.

Parts are pretty widely available, if not quite as strong coverage as for a Midget or MGB.

Send pictures!

OP
77_MG_Midget

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
wow... thanks for the info... the rear axle design not being optimum of wet conditions doesn't really concern me in the desert (lol...). Like I said, I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know what kind of shape the car is in. But sounds like it will be worth my time to do so. Thanks again.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just think TR6 but smaller & prettier!

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
Yeah, someday with enough time and $$, I wouldn't mind one ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I always figre a free car is worth dragging home if for no other reason than its free!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I guess the top is called a sunshade. Free is good.

Country flag

dklawson

Yoda
Our GT6 has been in the family since new. I love to drive our car, especially on the highway. I find the car a bit nose heavy and don't enjoy throwing it hard into a corner but it's a real blast to drive on secondary roads at 55-65 mph. I love the sound of its exhaust and I find it very comfortable.

As others have said, don't restore it as an investment or you'll loose your shirt. I put probably 1.5 x the value of our car into restoring it and I never put any money in the engine.

Country flag
I reckon I could get a pretty decent MKI for around £3K (~$5K US), and use it fairly regularly.

After the Healey (learned my lesson? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) I'll leave the restoration to others and look to buy a finished, or nearly so project.

Besides... in a couple years our daily driver will start to verge on entering the status (approaching 20 years old) of becoming a "classic" too.

OP
77_MG_Midget

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
No, can't see it until Saturday. Did speak to the owner last night though. From what I've learned, it still has the original motor and trans. The car was a daily driver until about 7 years ago when he rear-ended a pickup truck. The bonnet was badly damaged and has been removed and gotten rid of. Although he said there is no frame damage. He had another GT6 at the time and removed the rear end and rear suspension from this car. Therefore, the car is not even a "rolling chassis" at this point. The interior is supposed to be complete, but needs to be restored from sitting so many years.

I'm going to take the chance and look at it anyway. I'd hate to see the car end up in the crusher. According to the owner, he can't find any junk yards here in Vegas that are interested in it, even for parts. It would be ashame for a car which they only made 12,066 of that model year, to be crushed.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Took me a moment to realize by glass you meant fiberglass...lol. It was a pretty neat mental image though till I got to thinking about that stray stone while going down the road...lol
JC

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Took me a moment to realize by glass you meant fiberglass...

[/ QUOTE ]

Way, way back in the 50's there were persplex "bubble" tops made for a few cars, like the 53-55 Corvette, that looked like the canopies on the old Bell Helicopters...

I wonder if any are still around. The 'vettes looked kind of surreal with them from the pictures I've seen....

OP
77_MG_Midget

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
For those that may be interested, here's some pics of the car. I've decided to take her and try to save another LBC. She's in bad shape though, but at least no rust.

Attachments

• 186250-69GT6+.jpg
    186250-69GT6+.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 84