• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Additional progress at body shop

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Today the frame checking and alignment was completed and the fenders were primed and set back in place. Tomorrow the front panel will probably be welded in place and the panel alignment and fitting will continue.

The hood is being stripped and prepped for the epoxy primer just like the fenders. I'm hoping that the bumper will be done by weeks end so that I can have it for the shop to make sure all of the final fitting is right before the fenders get any top coat on the inside.

Attachments

• 12992.jpg
    12992.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 355
  • 12993.jpg
    12993.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 351
  • 12994.jpg
    12994.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 346

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Pretty sweet Paul, looks like she's in good hands.

And on a lighter note.. is it me or when the grill is off do our cars resemble a 63 Dodge Dart? I'm thinking maybe.

normal_63f082403%5B1%5D.jpg

accident%20080%20(Small).jpg

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul: Your car is taking on some kind of personna. Like something out
of a Disney Movie. Waiting fer him to get up on his hind wheels and start
strutting 'round.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm green with envoy, Tom, but you gotta know how happy I am for you.
I'm still movng at a snail's pace on my thing. All in good time.
Best to ya,

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Shannon,

That is scary............I wonder if the Karmann studio got the idea for the new body back in 1968 from some old Motor Trend magazines.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Your car is taking on some kind of personna.[/QUOTE]

2W,

I don't know about it's persona, but American Express has begun to mail replacement cards directly to the car.

Tom,

Good to see you back...............

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's funny, Paul. Long as it doesn't start receiving your
portfolio itinerary on your retirement fund, I think you're okay.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Paul,

She really looks "GREAT"!!

I learned something today! I did`nt know that the "Front Panel" (I guess you mean the grill area) was welded. Since I`ve never had the need to dis-mantle the `72 TR6 I had; I thought they were bolted to the fenders, DUH.

Paul, With the all Alum. Rad, Do you still mount an Air Duct in there?

Do the "Trip SUs" really perform as good as they look? What sort of difference do you physically feel from the Orig. 2 Carb set-up?

Just Curious,

Russ

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Paul your car is gunna be as good as new!
Looks like It'll be done just in time for winter!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
LastDeadLast said:
Pretty sweet Paul, looks like she's in good hands.

And on a lighter note.. is it me or when the grill is off do our cars resemble a 63 Dodge Dart? I'm thinking maybe.

normal_63f082403%5B1%5D.jpg
Interesting observation! :wink:

You can't see them all that well in the photo, but the same wheel covers as on the Dart were used -- with appropriate 'text' changes -- on the 1969 model year US Spitfires, just as the ubiquitous 'Air-Flow' wheel covers on so many Heralds and early Spitfires were adapted from a Plymouth Valiant wheel cover (again, without the Plymouth-specific logo)!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Long as it doesn't start receiving your
portfolio itinerary on your retirement fund, I think you're okay.[/QUOTE]

Uh, 2W, you are looking at my portfolio.............

Russ, there has been much debate about triple ZS carbs versus twin ZS or SU carbs and FI, MC carbs, etc., so let me keep it short and sweet. Without major engine work, such as compression and cam, as well as headers, ignition and the lighter flywheel, I truly believe that they were a waste of money and time. In that order, only because the time was spent learning a lot about the car, the money, once spent was gone.

HOWEVER, since I have done all of that work, when I push it to the floor now, it is MUCH more than a lot of noise from the carbs. My car always ran well and the trips helped a little, but to really get the most from them, you need additional engine work. But again, the dyno will tell the real tale and that probably won't happen until spring.

If I had it to do over again, I would do the engine modifications exactly the same way, but with the Mikinu motorcycle carbs.

But to be honest, I think that my car (current configuration) would run really well with slightly richened twin ZS carbs and low restriction K&N filters.

In other words, save your money.

Yes, I still use an air deflector (Goodparts polished aluminum) around the radiator. Must have equipment in my opinion.

silver7

Your very nice car looks to be coming along great, and from looking into the pics, the shop you chose also appears to be very well organized to handle this kin of repair!!

How do they plan on matching the colour,and will they be blending into the doors, or performing a complete??

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Looking good Paul - is there an ETA? (not that you want to rush it)[/QUOTE]

Tom,

To quote Alan at A&E Auto; "You can take all of the pictures that you want. I have all of the parts that I need and the paint mixed and ready. I'll let you know when it's done."

My reply; "Thank you".

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]How do they plan on matching the colour,and will they be blending into the doors, or performing a complete??[/QUOTE]

Silver,

It will be a complete repaint. You can't see the rear of the car, but the tail lights are out and the bumper is already off. Once the front end is done and all of the body mounts are changed, they will align every panel, then the paint removal will begin.

The adjuster agreed that the match would never have the same exact texture or color, so to insure that didn't happen, it's getting a complete job.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looking good, looks like a nice clean well lit shop also. I guess I know where I'l be going if someday down the line I want to get the body work on my car sorted.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The shop is VERY clean, as a good paint shop should be. The outside area looks great and the building is spotless and painted white.