• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ADD ON OIL FILTER LEAKING AGAIN!

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is the second time in less then a year that my add on oil filter is leaking at the block. Last fall after it was installed it soon started leaking. 1.5k. After retighten the center bolt and that didn't work (did the same thing today). I replaced the rubber gasket and torque to the factory specks for an original filter. probably 2k this time. Same thing retighten and still leaking. What's going on? Anyone fix a problem like this? Larry

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Check to see there isn't 2 gaskets in the groove. You will need a sharp pick for this.
Another thought,I'm not sure about the 3 ,there was a problem with the ones they sold for the 6's,they leaked and there was a stop production on them. I know TRF (I think it was them) finally had ones that didn't leak.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Forgot to mention it's for the 250. It has the oil cooler lines attached too. I quite sure it came from VB. Possibly TRF.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well,if it is a couple of years old,check with TRF and see if it is from the bad set.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
If it is an O-ring seal, take it to NAPA and find an O-ring the same diameter but slightly fatter. Also, as suggested, inspect to rule out two gaskets.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My suggestion would be to remove the gasket, and check that the flange reaches to the bottom of the groove before something else stops it. Put some machinist's blue (lipstick or magic marker will do in a pinch) all around the edge of the flange, then hold the adapter to the block and rotate it a bit. You should be able to see the signs of contact all around the edge.

Then put the center bolt/adapter in finger-tight, and verify that it clamps the big adapter (still without the gasket) before the threads bottom.

D

DougF

When installing the o ring, coat it well in grease so that it stays in position. The first time around installing mine, it would not stay in place.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Wow! thanks for all the replys. I will remove it some time this week and check the castings and do the blueing test. Excellent ideas. Been thinking about it soom too and woundering if the rubber gasket is shrinking. They are only designed to last x amount of miles between oil changes. That is the one I replaced with is a canister O-ring. I have put thousands of miles on them before they go bad. But should last longer. I'm thinking that the blue test might reviel it's not seating deep enough.

wooolffy

I to just repaired oil leak at block. Pulled out rubber seal and checked location of spin on adapter, it was okay. Put in new seal with loctite gasket eliminator on both sides. Put a light film on adapter rim, installed carefully. So far no leaks. The underside of car is wondering where all the lubrication went.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is this the same o ring that will work for the speedo tach o ring against the dash. Everybody says napa ,what do I ask for as I am reinstalling the big gauges in my new dash.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is your adapter a one piece casting? If so you may want to scrap it and buy one of the newer adapters. From what I've read and my experience installing the adapters... The center of the adapter comes into contact with the engine block before the outer rim. This prevents the outer rim from compressing the large rubber ring.
I tried a half a dozen of O'rings in various materials and thickness. Nothing sealed the adapter.
The adapters are manufactured by Mocal. At some point they redesigned the adapter as a 2 piece design. The center section is a seperate piece that floats on a spring. This allows for the variations between blocks. The center spring is compresed when you tighten the bolt. Allowing the outer rim to compress the outer seal.
I bought one of the new style adapters from BPNW. It sealed just fine with no extra fiddling around.
The only drawback is the new adapters may not be available with the fittings to run hoses to an oil cooler. BPNW said they had not seen one. This was about a year ago, things may have changed since then.
An alternative if to install a sandwich plate between the filter and the adapter. Mocal makes one that includes an integral thermostat. There are numerous sandwich plates available from several manufacturers. I don't recall the size if the threads or the diameter of the filter. You can check them to find the correct plate.