• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AC Cobra vs. AH 3000 profile

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
I owned this FFR cobra replica for 9 years. I thought this was an interesting comparison of the profiles.
Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

richberman

Jedi Warrior
It looks like they took the Healey rear and just bent it up. They didn't get the rear wheel arch even with the tire profile though.
:devilgrin:

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
AC Bristol preceded Cobra, which I believe was first introduced in 1953. Hard to say which design influenced which? They certainly are similar. I read somewhere that the Bristol lines were influenced by the early Ferrari 122.

Country flag
nevets said:
AC Bristol preceded Cobra, which I believe was first introduced in 1953. Hard to say which design influenced which? They certainly are similar. I read somewhere that the Bristol lines were influenced by the early Ferrari 122.
166 (Touring bodied barchetta) :wink:

If you've ever read Caroll Shelby's book, written in the early 60s, you'll be impressed with the number of times that he repeats how he wanted to build a car like the Healey. Remember, he had a pretty close relationship with DMH, having been a team driver in the 100S & at Bonneville.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'd say that Healey (Gerry Coker, actually) got the rear wing/fender just right the first time. The Cobra's great, and obviously they couldn't copy the Healey exactly, but it's hard to improve on perfection. :bow:

richberman

Jedi Warrior
I've got a lead on an AC Bristol in decent, but in need of restoration condition. Was owned by a mechanic who never got it restored. Widow is looking to sell it. Original Aluminum body in good shape, original engine, tubular chassis needs some work. Anyone interested? She's looking for around $90k.
rich

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A great rear end will always make you stop and stare.

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Last Saturday, I had the opportunity to be a tour guide at a local Auto Museum.

There I saw this car.

It is a FORD Nova. The car's styling won a Motor Trend design contest and the car was a one-off, commissioned by Ford for $8,000 in 1951 and completed in 1953. It was the forerunner of what turned out to be the Thunderbird, but by 1955, styling and drivelines had changed a lot.

The car had a conventional Ford flat head with three two barrel carbs and a 3 speed floor shift.

The front end is reminiscent of the early Corvettes and while the back end is nothing like the Healey or Cobra, it is interesting.

FordNova1.jpg

FordNova2.jpg

I love the door lines. How easy would that be for us old guys to swing our feet into?

Tim

Healeysince59

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Unlikely that AC copied Healey since the the first year of the AC Ace was 1951. The AC Bristol was an engine option that came later.

Marv J

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Marv

My point exactly...if there was any copying, it was Healey copying AC (Ace, Bristol, Cobra...all meat from the same bone).

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Good point. Our Mr. Healey was no stranger to " Inspiration ". You take it from where you can find it. The Italians offered it in spades. :yesnod:

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
richberman said:
It looks like they took the Healey rear and just bent it up. They didn't get the rear wheel arch even with the tire profile though.
:devilgrin:
I think if you compare it to a real big-block Cobra or a 289 car they will be even more similar. Most big-block replicas seem to look "bent up" at the back for some reason.

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
The cobras have a number of different rear hips and really changes the look of the car. All the original 289 cobra street cars were pretty similar to the original FFR profile posted above.

Original 289 Cobra

orig%20cobra.jpg

slabside.jpg

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Interesting discussion on the Healey vs Cobra/AC Ace lines.

I recall reading in a past copy of "Classic and Sportscar" that before the original Healey prototype was finalized, Jerry Coker had envisaged and did a mock up of a Healey with rear fins and a metal swage line that partially covered the rear wheels somewhat like a fender skirt, even though his design inspiration was said to have been strongly influenced by the minimalist lines of the Barchetta. Apparently Donald Healey nixed the fins/swage idea, and thankfully so, because based on the pictures that I saw, it looked pretty ungainly.

Both Healey and AC (especially the early "slabside" model, as shown here)truly merit the poetry in motion term. Take a look at Reid Trummel's early Healey pictured above. Comes with a defibrillator, in case your heart stops.

Cheers Dave

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Healey_Z said:
The cobras have a number of different rear hips and really changes the look of the car. All the original 289 cobra street cars were pretty similar to the original FFR profile posted above.

Healey_Z, I'm not saying you're wrong. I just find this interesting as my friend has an original 289 car, it was parked right next to my BN2 in the back of our shop for years and years. We both walked past them day in and day out and never once did one of us say "hey, these cars really look similar". You might be right about a true side profile. However, if you look at the two in a 3/4 view like we were typically seeing (as they were parked right next to each other), the two cars look radically different. The Healey line is much smoother/flatter.

I also find this interesting because he and I recently had a discussion about how that "hip" area (particularly from the profile) is what gets screwed up on bogus Cobras. We came to the conclusion that the cheaper the kit, the more bent the cars look and the higher the a$$ end seems to stick up. Not sure if they need to hike that whole rear area on the bogus ones because most of them use solid rear axles vs independent as original or what.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree, that is a particularly appealing photo by RT of an early Healey. Very sensual.

What I also find interesting about the similarities between the AC and the Healey, is how many sports cars from that period had similar design cues. The combination of a long flowing front fender line followed by a pronounced hip line is a fairly common theme eg: MGA, E-Type Jag, even the Ford Mustang.