• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

about lead substitutes...

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi everybody! I have a question...what do ya'll use for lead additives in your pre-leadfree cars. Years ago, I had found a product that was concentrated, had a measuring chamber built into the container and was quite handy as you didn't have to purchase a new can everytime you filled up. And that gets expensive. Next summer I will rebuild with the hardened valves, but until then I'm stuck with using additives. What products do you use and the sources would be appreciated.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI mgbmedic, Real Lead or CD-2 are good products to keep the exhaust valves lubricated. However, if you are planing a no lead head upgrade in the coming summer you probably do not have to do anything in the interium.--Fwiw--Keoke

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I probably put 3,000 miles on my '67 GT every year - never converted the head, always use unleaded gas....of course, I know that at some point I'll have to put a different head on it...but I've been doing it for more than 5 years now - since they stopped selling leaded gas - with no problems!

I know, I know...

R6MGS

Yoda
Like Tony, I also usually neglect to add lead...I used to in my red MGA but this year I didn't even burn a tank of gas in it so didn't bother...The White MGA is driven daily all summer but my wife usually ends up filling it and then I forget to add the substitute...As for the B's two have been in storage almost since they stopped selling unleaded(driven a few times a year to keep things alive) and I can't be bothered to add the substitute in the LE for the few hundred miles it gets a year......So far no problems with any of them and none of the heads have been changed(as far as I know, actually the LE might have been).

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
if I'm not mistaken the '80 B should be ready to use unleaded gas in "stock" form... Actually, North American 74.5 and up should be able to use unleaded in stock form... or is there more to it than I know?

OP
mgbmedic

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
i believe your'e right, nunyas. My 76 B needs no additive, but the 69 is an all original car. I just want to protect my little investment as much as possible.

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks Rob, thats good news...one less thing to worry about.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
nehheh... read the post and said to meself: "TEL?!!? Antisocial! Illegal! Politically Incorrect!"

Then read the link'd site. At the very bottom was the disclaimer: "Due to EPA regulations this product is for off road use only."

...and CAT coverters everywhere breathe a sigh of relief.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But you know, no where does it say how much to use to save the valves.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
But you know, no where does it say how much to use to save the valves.

[/ QUOTE ]
A quote from the website:
"12 ounces of OS130 to 20 gallons of fuel provides the minimum amount of lead protection needed to maintain and lubricate engines designed to run on leaded gasoline."

Don't know if this "saves" the valves or not.
D

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
Then my 73 ahould need additives? I have a replacement head that went with the car. Might have to change valves over. Id there a marking on the head to tell what year they are from so I can see if the other head is a unlead head?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Guess old eyes, I missed that comment on the site, thanks. Hmm, that's only 3oz per tank. cheep enough.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
A couple of very comprehensive tests showed that there is little need for "valve protection" with unleaded gas. On engines run at full throttle for extended periods of time, even without hardened valve seats, the valve seat recession was very little. For all out long distance racing hard valve seats may help. This type of engine is frequently rebuilt anyway. Under more normal load conditions, the recession was not measurable.

However, shops do make good money converting valve seats & lots of snake oil is sold at high prices to prevent a nearly non-existent problem. The choice is yours whether you want to spend extra for additives.
D

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, that's only 3oz per tank. cheap enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess so if your tank takes 5 gallons to fill. That's only about $1.00 extra per tank.
D

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

However, shops do make good money converting valve seats & lots of snake oil is sold at high prices to prevent a nearly non-existent problem...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Been running the MG on unleaded for 60K on a rebuild using 'standard' bits for the head. No additives. pulled head last year to inspect, R&R head gasket prior to Weber fitting: Nothing to report.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well maybe this lead stuff is an old wives tail.

Way back when "Pure" brand gas was touted as haveing no additives and we used it all the time. 1950s era.

Just one more reason to wonder at what is said and passed along as fact.