• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A wonderfully expensive phone call

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm a little tired this morning (just finished a 5-night run of shows in my other life as a musician) but very excited for what will be going on over the next few months. Had a nice chat with Hap yesterday, and wrote the big check to get started on Tunebug's new 1275 motor. Here's what Hap will be doing for me -- I'm sure he'll correct me if I miss anything.
<ul>[*]Normal rebuild bits and painting[*]AE 21253 pistons[*]APT ND 276 cam and matching lifters[*]Ported head[*]ARP hardware where appropriate[*]Vernier timing gears[*]Rebuilt H2 carbs[*]New clutch[/list]
I'll be making calls to Advanced Distributors for a dizzy rebuild, PeterC for shocks, and Tony for lots of parts as well. I'll need headers, rebuilt brake calipers, new fuel tank and lines, all sorts of bits. Worth every of the many pennies it will take.

It's been a busy winter so far with my music, and that's funding this round of improvements. Definitely been tiring (I've my regular day job at the school district as well) but worth it in the end. After many years of dreaming of cars, and 2 years of owning one that really wasn't drivable, I should be on the road by summer. Like many of us, I've got limited financial means and had to make some sacrifices to make this happen. I think Tunebug's going to be something special, can't wait to take him for a spin. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Will that header fit with the stock carb heat shield? That was something Hap mentioned to me -- a difference between a race header and a street header. I know nothing about headers, just that I need one. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Drew:

Sounds good,

It should be messagable with a peen hammer.

Pat

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I had Hap do my HS2's and they look excellent! I also had Jeff at advance rebuild a 25D too. Jeff also rebuilt the Eurospec 45D in my B and it's been great!

I hope you get it running! I sure would like to get mine on the road too, unfortunately no engine plans in the near future... yet!

Bugeye58

Yoda
Drew, I don't know about the stock heat shield. My suggestion would be to call APT and ask. The street header number is EXL9.
Jeff

Attachments

• 9190.jpg
    9190.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 43

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jeff -
Thanks -- needed some header help. Bought the ebay special and am not having luck (but have not offically scrapped it yet either).

Will have all bugs worked out by April (not a big hurry in Cleveland as you are in Michigan).

Tx-

George

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Drew, while you wait on the motor, are you dressing up the engine compartment? Now is the time.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Too cold to do anything right now. First on the list is to make space in the garage for the bonnet. Then I'll need to pull the old motor and tackle brakes, fuel, and suspension. Engine bay cleanup comes last, and is only a minor part. Someday I'll need to strip Tunebug down for a full-body treatment, but that's a few years away. No major issues there, and I really need to do some driving.

Jeff -- I looked at the APT website after you posted, and wondered if that was the one you were pointing out. I'll be giving them a call (among others) to see what will work for my application. I'll be making a lot of calls in the next few months. It's gonna be fun!

We're gonna have some nice motors, Ray.

marinmg

Drew and Jeff,
I have the APT maniflow LCB header and it clears the duel SU carb heat sheild with no problem. Along with the header I would recommend the maniflow muffler and pipe to complete the package.

Liam
60 bugeye
59 bugeye
57 mga

Bugeye58

Yoda
Thanks, Liam. I was fairly certain it cleared, but didn't want to say anything unless I was absolutely sure.
I concur with the recommendation of the remainder of the system.
Jeff

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Liam - thanks for the info. APT is on the top of my need-to-call list.

So there ya go Drew, I knew someone here would have a definate answer for us on the header. Thanks Liam.