• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A new kind of Ebay scam?

roofman

Jedi Knight
Look in ebay motors tr-6 for sale. Some zero feedback, non registered seller ( how does that happen?) has listed the same car 20 times, and with no photo's, and people have bid on about 10 of the cars no reserve! One is bid over $2k !!
I can imagine all these people thinking they are getting the car for $100 - $2,000 or so, all sending there money to a NON REGISTERED user, and likely no car exists. Is this the hieght of stupidity?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif But those fellas be some smart Buggers.---Keoke

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've even seen cars on ebay with fantastic descriptions and an incredibly low "buy it now" price.

When you read the details in the description, you see that you're only bidding on the "right" to make another bid in private.

By the way, wish me luck. Can't wait to see if I win Britney's hair clippings!

Argh.
Tom

PeterK

Yoda
NutmegCT said:
By the way, wish me luck. Can't wait to see if I win Britney's hair clippings!

Don't hold your breath Tom. I think that's also a scam. I saw the pictures from the limo and there wasn't a hair to be found. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

brent615

Jedi Trainee
No doubt you have to be careful. When I was looking I bid on a nice TR6 in Ohio (I think)that you had to "preregister" with the seller to bid. I emailed the seller and two days later the listing disappeared. Later that day, I got an email from the "seller" saying that he would take $5500 - it was easily a $9K car...I knew something was up. Next thing you know I come in and log on my computer to discover it is send 1.4 MILLION emails, Ebay spam to be specific. I am pretty sure when I read the sellers email it downloaded a JAVA file called Advanced Mass Sender. Long story short, if you got spammed late last fall with a "Second Chance" email it probably came from my machine. I tracked the source to an IP address in Romania. Good luck getting them busted huh?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Sounds like you need a good software firewall, like Zone Alarm Pro or Commodo. Those are set to limit any number that you wish for emails going out. They may also help prevent something like that from installing in the first place.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A little off subject.
Did any of you watch MSNBC last night. They ran the premeir of a new Business show. One of their stories was about EBAY and what they dubbed EFencing. If their report was accurate there is a fair volume of stollen merchandise being fenced on EBAY. The amazing thing is that it wasn't just little stuff like someone might stuff down their pants and walk out of a store. It was water heaters, Chain saws, refrigerators... A lot of it stolen from Home Depot. Not on the loading dock, but from the store during regular hours.

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
Hot goods. Used to find them at flea markets. Now they are on Ebay. A seller can be anywhere in the world and look like he or she is next door.

Be that as it may, I have never been ripped off by an Ebay seller in some 90 purchases over the last few years. Even if the goods I bought "fell off a truck", the seller was honest enough to deliver them. I don't think a thief would bother. Seems to me that thieves on Ebay are actually few and far between.

Today's instant gratification sure is better than waiting for the new issue of Hemmings each month. Sooner or later, I may get tagged, but I think it's definitely worth the risk.

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
I've been checking Ebay for a vintage electronics.

There's a group of scammers with fake postings. I must have reported 100 in the last 2 months. One tell-tale way is that the scammer will have dozens of other items at the same price and they all expire at the same time.

A buddy of mine got ripped by someone getting his ID off ebay and offering him a second chance to buy. They used a different account name and justified it saying they had different ebay accounts. He thought it was legitimate. It was was NOT! He said bye bye to some serious $$$

Another way "they" get your ID and password is to have a link in the posting to click. Normally the link indicates you must login to get information on the item. It re-directs to a Ebay look-alike login site that will record your ID and password as you enter it.

If you are suspect of ANYTHING, there is a link at the bottom of each page to report the item (some scammers actually disable those too).

Ebay folks can tell things about an item and the account it is listed under that we can't.

As always, if it's too good to be true, It is.

good luck,
jeff

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Ebay is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much of a risk for this Scot!
I`m the kind that wants to personaly examine any merchandise I might be interested in buying.

1.4 million emails! Romania! Yep sounds real familiar! The D.O.S. attackers on I.R.C. use a script that will send email to an address till heck freezes over. The worst part is your P.C. doesn`t have to have the I.R.C. program {usualy Mirc} even instaled. All they need is your email address, AND, they "LOVE IT!" if your E-Mail client is Outlook Express!

G

bobh said:
It was water heaters, Chain saws, refrigerators... A lot of it stolen from Home Depot. Not on the loading dock, but from the store during regular hours.

Really!? Uh, er, you didn't happen to see any 50 gal. water heaters on that shopping list, did you?

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Just joking......</span>

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
Well the 20 listings dissapeared, and just got an email outside of ebay for a tr6 that had all bids cancelled up to 7K, but is offered to me TODAY ONLY for $2890 INCLUDING shipping to my door.
Be carefull out there............

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
brent615 said:
No doubt you have to be careful. When I was looking I bid on a nice TR6 in Ohio (I think)that you had to "preregister" with the seller to bid. I emailed the seller and two days later the listing disappeared. Later that day, I got an email from the "seller" saying that he would take $5500 - it was easily a $9K car...I knew something was up. Next thing you know I come in and log on my computer to discover it is send 1.4 MILLION emails, Ebay spam to be specific. I am pretty sure when I read the sellers email it downloaded a JAVA file called Advanced Mass Sender. Long story short, if you got spammed late last fall with a "Second Chance" email it probably came from my machine. I tracked the source to an IP address in Romania. Good luck getting them busted huh?

So YOU'RE the guy....I gonna have my people see your people about this...

hahaha

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
Here's another scam:

I just listed my Land Rover on Ebay and close to the end of the listing I got 2 emails saying that the people were going to buy my car, but wanted to know if my car had the same features and a car with what looked like an Ebay listing with an URL. When you click on the listing you get a login prompt. I knew I was already logged in so I didn't login to their site.

With a half hour of that email, Ebay sent me a scam alert on it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
roofman said:
Well the 20 listings dissapeared, and just got an email outside of ebay for a tr6 that had all bids cancelled up to 7K, but is offered to me TODAY ONLY for $2890 INCLUDING shipping to my door.
Be carefull out there............

So - did you buy it?

- Doug

achtungeveryone

Jedi Hopeful
Does the idea that ebay is chocked full of stolen goods really surprise anybody? No, not when we atleast stop and give it half a thought. Be careful out there and take notice. We may get ripped off but we don't have to be suckers.

Double achtung

terriphill

Darth Vader
OK I must chime in as an E-bayaholic....we have bought 8 cars on e-bay,5 motors, and hundreds (or closer to thousands) of dollars worth of parts. We also sell parts on e-bay. I have bought boots, clothes, jewelry and even tile for my kitchen. There have been a few items that I felt were misrepresented (the 1990 toyota supra that the seller said had been "rebuilt" that had hockey pucks for the motor mounts comes to mind) but, overall the people have been nice, easy to deal with and friendly. I think the worst thing is maybe misprepresentations, and occasionally we feel like we overpaid by a few bucks, but since with the cars, we plan to strip and rebuild anyway, its not been too bad.
We ALWAYS check the history of the seller, read ALL the feedback, contact the seller and ask lots of questions. We will usually request more pictures of specific parts of the vehicles and if the seller is legit...they will comply. If not, we don't bid.
I don't know what people did before we had a world wide market place to find stuff in (particularly those of us that live in the backwoods) It is true....if you want IT, you can find IT on e-bay...just be a careful shopper, do your research and know what you are getting into.