• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A little dampness on the backplate

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
While waiting for brake & clutch master cyl. rebuild kits, I decided to look at a few other areas of the TR4. The inside back plate and hub are just a bit moist, kinda like slightly greasy dirt, nothing on brake shoes, drums or externally. I see there are two seals in there, a hub and an axle. Do I need to replace them both, how difficult is it to do. I have not had to replace them before.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...I see there are two seals in there, a hub and an axle. Do I need to replace them both, how difficult is it to do. I have not had to replace them before.

The axle -- pretty easy in the grand scheme of things. Main thing is to get the correct end float when assembled (which should be okay by just using the same shims and changing no other parts.

The hub -- on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate it a 12. IOW, in some cases nothing short of a nuke will separate those parts.

If I had it to do over I'd try replacing the axle seal and see if that takes care of it. I had a TR 'expert' show me how to pull the hub apart and I in the end I needed a new hub and axle.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree with Geo. In addition, the outer seal shouldn't leak unless the wheel bearing has been overgreased. The inner seal is the one that holds back oil.

If you do decide to replace the outer seals, your best bet is probably to remove the axles with hubs still attached, and send the assembly off to someone like Mark Macy. I've managed to come up with a process that so far has worked 3 times for me (first hub came apart easy), but it was a lot of work to machine the press plates to fit snugly behind the hub.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I am in the middle of this right now. I thought no big deal.... well the hub's and axle's are at the machine shop and He only want's to do one at a time. The first one is almost done. He thinks nit bwas about 40 ton's of pressure and heat to get the first bone apart. No wonder my 3 prong gear puller did not work..

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
With that much pressure&heat, I wouldn't be surprised if the flange was bent or the axle mushroomed. Berry
I am in the middle of this right now. I thought no big deal.... well the hub's and axle's are at the machine shop and He only want's to do one at a time. The first one is almost done. He thinks nit bwas about 40 ton's of pressure and heat to get the first bone apart. No wonder my 3 prong gear puller did not work..

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
With that much pressure&heat, I wouldn't be surprised if the flange was bent or the axle mushroomed. Berry

Me too, but maybe he will get lucky.

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thank you for getting me going in the right direction. I'll order the axle seal, I don't want to even think about separating the hub.