• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Group events

Photography

A hard lesson.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Admittedly I’m still relatively new to the R5, and I have not read the entire 931-page manual yet, just parts of it. However, I thought I understood the video stuff enough to at least allow me to shoot some basic video…but no, apparently not. I hope I can explain this adequately.

We went to Denver last week to attend our Grand Niece’s High School graduation. I had put the R5 into the Video Mode by pressing the “Mode” button, then the "Info" button on the R5 (It's a weird button combo, but that's how you switch between Photo Mode and Video Mode; apparently a simply switch like many cameras have was too easy. Anyway, once in the Video Mode I went into the Menu [Camera (red), tab #1] “Movie rec quality.” and set the video quality for 4K-D 29.97P IPB. (i.e., Basically 4K 30FPS).

However, I knew that if I was in Photo (stills) Mode I could still press the record button and start recording video. Yes, I was able to do that during the ceremony, and I thought I was recording at 4K AV mode, 30FPS since that's how I had the settings set when I was in Video Mode. However, when I got home and pulled my video into FCP, I discovered that all my video had been shot at 120FPS which means, not only was it slow motion, but there was no sound. Useless!

Later, when I was home, I discovered that if I’m in normal “Picture” Mode (in this case AV) and I press the little light bulb button that’s just to the right of the top LCD screen, I can pull up additional camera setting information in the top LCD screen, which includes video settings. That screen showed that, even after having put the video settings to 30FPS, when I switched to Photo Mode and pressed the record button to shoot some video, the video settings were not what I expected. The video was in “M” mode (manual) 4K-D 119.9FPS (120FPS).

My first stop was the manual, where I found this innocent little note in a "oh by the way" text box:

“* You can record movies by pressing the movie shooting button during still photo shooting.”
* Movies recorded in [A+] shooting mode are recorded with A+ mode quality. Movies recorded in shooting modes other than [A+] are recorded with [C3] mode.

(C3 refers to "custom settings" The R5 has C1, C2 and C3 which can be set to instantly bring up any photo or video settings you want.)

Apparently, for some reason (unknown to me) I had the Video settings for C3 programmed for 4K 120fps. Thus, if I was in the Photo (stills) mode, when I pressed the record button to record some video (while still in still mode), the movie would be recorded with the C3 video settings, in this case 4K-D 120FPS!! Arrgggg!

All I had to do then was go into C3 while in the Video Mode and set the settings I wanted, then re-register those settings to C3. Problem solved. It’s one of those little “gotchas” that can bite you in the backside if you’re not aware of it (which I wasn’t, but now I am).

Lesson learned.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That'd be one of the reasons I'm no videographer. I've a GoPro Hero 8, would just set it on sticks and let it run for events like that. The Nikons are video capable but I'm a "single framer" at heart.