• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

79 Midge overheating problem

donandmax

Another problem besides electrical I have been having as of the last couple of years is engine overheating in any temp over 85 Deg F It doesnt boil over but gets awful hot Ive changed stat . Then when I come to a stop engine dies at idle. It starts right up at the flick of the switch. But won't idle right until it cools down some. Its ok on the road (except the temp) I've changed the stat used cleaner to clean out radiator and engine block. Had rad, cleaned and checked, Checked timing. Iam at a loss as to whats causing the engine to run hot and stalling at idle when hot.Any ideas on this ?
Thanks, Don

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The only real solution is to have the radiator professionally cleaned, ie taken apart and roded and diped etc. Try that.

If that is not the problem then the block and head needs to be diped and cleaned at an engine rebuilder. Sigh.

Try the radiator first. I know nothing about your car but I would bet it is old and tired and the engine/radiator is full of rust and crud or it was and you got rid of the loose stuff but the other is still cloging up the small passages.

For example, Miss Agath runs at 180 degrees summer or winter ie 30 degrees to 100 degrees. Granted she will run up to about 200 degrees on a long steep hill.

make sure your fan clutch (if you have one) is good. Should be a fair amount of resistance to turning the fan by hand when the engine is off.

m

BugeyeNJ58

Jedi Hopeful
I'm having the same problem with my upgraded 1275 engine in my 59 BE. Getting lots of help from people on this forum. I'll be upgrading my fan and if that doesn't work, then bringing my radiator into a shop to be checked. Good luck with your problem.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
other than rad needing to be cleaned and engine needing to be cleaned is whether your water pump is still good - I got my engine boiled, my rad rebuilt and then, the 30+ year old pump started weeping.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
True JP but if it does not leak it is fine. Nothing else to break really.

Morris

Yoda
I will give you my standard response for unexplained overheating issues—head gasket... especially on a late model 1500, where the cooling system works great and the head gasket does not.

D

Deleted member 8987

The old troubleshooting guides always mentioned loose impellers on the water pump as one cause of overheating.

Almost 40 years in the biz, and I finally saw a car with a loose impeller.
Not common, but worth a look.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think we need to know something more about the engine here. A problem others have had including me is that the 1500 engine has been desmoged at some point and then the timing is set to the old stock smogged engine specs. The timing on the smogged 1500 I believe should be at 2 degrees ATDC. That works OK for a stock 1500 with all the smog equipment, but on an engine that has had that equipment removed it will run hot and have the same symptoms the original poster described. A desmogged 1500 should have the timing set to 8-10 degrees BTDC as the pre smogged engines are. It's a possobility. I had the same problem and this did the trick for me.

So. Two questions.

Is your engine stock, or has it had the smog equipment removed?

What is you timing set at?

OP
D

donandmax

stock engine, no cat.no air pump. Otherwise stock with usual hoses and canister still intact. 8-10 deg. on timing (I think) I'm putting in a new rad. from Victoria Brit. Old one was worked over too many times. Anyone have any experience with Rad. from VB ? I'm following all your suggestions. Oh by the way. I can drive around town all day and temp seems normal its only when I drive 20 mi or more at 70 MPH that it heats up and acts up because of the heat, I'm hoping the new rad. will do the job
Thanks
Don