• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 75 tr6 air injection system

floyd

Looking for info on my missing Air injection manifold. I picked up a 75 tr6 from a friend that decided that he really didn't have time for this car after he bought it. It has not ran for about 4-5 years. I have noticed that the air jection manifold is missing. Is this injection system something that i should get backinto working order, or can i just plugged it off. It looks like the manifold is the only missing item. Thanks for any help.

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Look into the emission laws in your state. If they are as bad in Ohio as in Illinois you may have to put the whole system back together just to pass the smog test. If you don't have to have the smog testing done then I would say you are fine in leaving it off.
You may want to contact a local club and see what they have to say about the subject.

OP
floyd

floyd

Thanks for your reply. I have this posted at 3 different forums and your the only reply I've gotten on this subject. I would not mind putting it back, but the price of a new manifold is about $300-350. Unless I can find a used one. Would you what this actually does for the car besides emission control. Or any long time effect it would have running without it?

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Roman, the function of the AI system was to inject fresh air during deceleration, in hopes of thus burning off any CO and HC (carbon monoxide is partially burned hydrocarbon [gasoline]). This is now done electronically by shortening the fuel injector pulse width to 0.2 miliseconds. In pre-emission days, no once cared.
About the only negative effect on the car would be if you are still running a catalytic converter, which would become plugged in time.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paul,
I don't think any TR6 came with a catalytic converter. My '75 is bone stock and does not have one. I don't think Triumph started using them until the TR7.

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Paul,
I think you wanted to reply to Floyd as I know what the AI was for.
Here in Illinois if you want to drive your car with no restrictions you have to get standard plates and not antique plates. So if you own a 68 or newer car you need to pass the emissions test. Also if you fail one time and come back for a re-test they can inspect under your bonnet and ding you for not having the pollution gear hooked up. That is why I suggested that Floyd look into the Ohio laws regaurding this.
Bobh is correct when he stated that the 6 doesn't have a catalytic converter, they all used leaded gas which would detroy a cat in short order.

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Paul,

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. Sorry, but today is the 11th, and I only pay attention on even numbered days.

RomanH

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Paul,

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. Sorry, but today is the 11th, and I only pay attention on even numbered days.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

OP
floyd

floyd

Thanks for the replies. we dont have emissions here in our county, yet. So, I think for now i will just run without it until I can come across a used one.