• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

7 lb radiator cap

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I found what looks to be a reasonably correct new radiator cap with 7lbs pressure, 1" depth neck and correct wording (although I think the original wording and arrows was raised, not recessed)

https://www.classicsagogo.co.uk/acatalog/Radiator_Caps.html

Does anyone know of another source for a correct cap? The price is very reasonable .. about $7.40 but the shipping is twice that. If anyone else(in the US)is looking to buy a cap please email me and I'll put a group order together.

Cheers,
John

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
A good "incorrect" cap is the NAPA #703-1411. It has the advantage of a good top seal if you are going to use a coolant recovery system. But I suppose you won't be using such on a concours restoration.
D

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the useful info but as you've surmised my mode right now is "unpimp my ride"â„¢ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,
John

bighly

Jedi Knight
That looks like the same cap as the 7lb Moss car John.

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
That looks like the same cap as the 7lb Moss car John.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tracy .. I ordered a Moss cap sometime last year and returned it. Didn't look anything like this one. Did you order one recently? (wish Moss and others would put images online to show what their parts look like).

Cheers,
John

p.s. just emailed Moss to see if their cap is the same (and suggested they add images to their website catalog)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI John, did you try Norman Knock?. The cap shown is identical to the original one. The original had recessed lettering not raised.--Fwiw---Keoke

Alan Alfano

Freshman Member
John,
Jaguar sells a radiator cap that looks exactly like that.
At least they did.
If need be, I could hunt around and find a part number.

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Keoke, No didn't try BCS as it wasn't in their catalog but will check with them. The reason I said raised letters was from photos in the Moment/Anderson book of a cap that looked very original but if you say recessed, then recessed it is.

Cheers,
John

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Patton,

I think Dave beat you to it! (hey, Greg .. it didn't happen to me this time!!)

I'm sure the NAPA cap is functionally perfect but not concours or "correct" in appearance.

Cheers,
John

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi John,
happy0144.gif
BCS has the 7lb cap in their Rare Parts catalog, but it’s in the common parts section in the back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif My catalog has it on page 46 part # GRC 101.

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Well the Classicsagogo supplier informed me that shipping to the US was incorrect on their site and is only £1.99 (about $3.50) for airmail and the website has now been updated. Others may carry this same or similar item but will go with the vendor that provides pictures beforehand in this case (I've sent back two radiator caps so far).

Cheers,
John

Country flag
The shipping cost did seem a little extortionate to me, but not everyone uses the most economical shipper, which is usually the Royal Mail for small parcels to the USA and most places.... I'd supposed they were using one of the courier (DHL, etc.) services that pick up.... And some vendors I've used (particularly on ebay) add in a premium to the shipping costs to boost their revenues.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This cost is much more reasonable, and pretty close to what they're charged going by the RM table....

bighly

Jedi Knight
John,
The Moss cap has "generic" lettering. Your correct. Hare is a photo of the Moss cap.

If you are really really after original I just put a Lucas distributor cap up on ebay. $100 gets it in your mailbox.
Item number: 4630685672

Attachments

• 200775-S_168_6831.JPG
    200775-S_168_6831.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 97
OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
I just put a Lucas distributor cap up on ebay. $100 gets it in your mailbox. Item number: 4630685672

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tracy,

Looks like a very nice Lucas cap but I don't need one right now. Good luck with the auction!

Cheers,
John

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Update:

I received the cap from Classicsagogo. It looks great but is too short. It turns out they measure 1" as the overall dimension of the cap. They do have a longer cap 1 1/4" which should be correct for the 1" depth of the Healey radiator neck. Just wanted to mention this in case anyone else is ordering through them. Once the new cap arrives I will let y'all know if it works out.

Cheers,
John