• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA 6x15" wheels on a stock MGA?

CraigCootsona

6x15" wheels on a stock MGA?

Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing the 6"x15" "M" type aluminum wheels listed at the following site: https://www.racemettleltd.co.uk/wheel.html for my MGA. The car has stock wheel wells without flairs or widening. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this width of wheel will interfere? Also, I believe most MGA's used the 42mm size splined hubs rather than the 52mm? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Craig

Re: 6x15" wheels on a stock MGA?

We've used 15x6 +24mm offset bolt on wheels on MGAs with no issues

OP
CraigCootsona

CraigCootsona

Thanks for the quick response Hap! The easy part is done. . . Now I just have to convince the wife that the price is worth it!

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Craig, IIRC, those wheels are hugely expensive. Are you sure you wouldn't be as happy with a premium quality wire wheel like Dayton (assuming you have wire wheel hubs - and yes, all MGs use 42 mm splines)? They would probably be cheaper and would (IMHO) look better.

BTW, it isn't the 6" rim width that causes problems on the MGA, it is the tire you put on them. Be very careful and see if you can mount an old tire in the exact size you want to buy and try it out on the car, preferably driving a bit and doing some cornering before committing to a purchase.

Unfortunately the dimensions of two identical size tires from two different makers can vary, so unless you are able to find a core take-off of the same exact tire there would still be some uncertainty....

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

PS - 185 x 65 - 15 work well.

OP
CraigCootsona

CraigCootsona

Thanks for the warning on tire size. . . I hadn't thought about that aspect yet. If anyone on this thread has recommendations of brand and dimensions that are known to work with 6" wheels, that would be a start.

Yes, the racemettle products are quite spendy about $440 USD each, but I notice that victoria british sells their chrome 72-spoke for about the same. I do admit that I like the solid feel of the center lock alloy wheels on my MGB over wires, but the wires were quite old when I had them. I might consider a painted wire wheel if I can think of a nice complementary color to contrast the blue body. I've always enjoyed the look of the old Jag XK's with colored wheels. I have some time to think this over because the wheels are the last thing I'll do.

I would really prefer to find some original twin cam/MkII deluxe wheels with the peg drive and the corresponding peg drive hubs because I like the concept of peg drive, but they are rare as hen's teeth. If anyone has some collecting dust of knows of a source, please contact me and we can talk.

Craig

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

You can get tubeless 72 spoke Daytons for far less than the Racemettle wheels.

Or I can maybe put you onto a conversion set with Dunlop peg drive and suspension in the $5K range, if you really want to spend money.

My coupe has the 185x65 tires on widened 5.5" rims.

mgab.jpg

OP
CraigCootsona

CraigCootsona

Beautiful car and great wheels! How much would just the peg drive suspension run without the wheels?

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

CraigCootsona said:
Beautiful car and great wheels! How much would just the peg drive suspension run without the wheels?

Seller won't separate them.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

The knock off wheels are not spline drive, they have 4 pegs that fit into holes in the hubs.

BRM and D type Jaguars also used this special Dunlop wheel type.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

PS - another widened set in action on another of my cars, and a pic of the engine bay. Not your normal MGAs.

portland.jpg

MGA_engine_compt.jpg

Sandman_Slim

Freshman Member

Aw man,what is that?! That engine is something! It really started life as an MGA twin cam? You got some cars dude... Some guys know how to live.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Yeah, just a regular old MGA engine..... :devilgrin:

mgatc.jpg

OP
CraigCootsona

CraigCootsona

5K is a little more that I was hoping to spend. In light of billspohn's comments I'm considering wires! Can you tell me who sells the tubeless Daytons?

Great pics! It's interesting to see that the carbs and distributor are on the "other" sides of the twin cam engine. I've never really looked that closely at them.

Is it correct to say that pegs would be less prone to wear than the splines? I always wondered why all cars didn't run with pegs because it seems to be less machining to make 4 holes.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

CraigCootsona said:
5K is a little more that I was hoping to spend. In light of billspohn's comments I'm considering wires! Can you tell me who sells the tubeless Daytons?

Great pics! It's interesting to see that the carbs and distributor are on the "other" sides of the twin cam engine. I've never really looked that closely at them.

Is it correct to say that pegs would be less prone to wear than the splines? I always wondered why all cars didn't run with pegs because it seems to be less machining to make 4 holes.

The pegs were intended for quick changes in competition, although I expect they would also result in reduced wear.

The guy that sells Daytons (a lot on ebay) is:

Classic Car Performance, Inc.
142 Wagmans Ridge Rd
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-290-0390 Cell (call anytime)
516-417-8391 Fax
dave@classiccarperformance.com

OP
CraigCootsona

CraigCootsona

Well, I finally decided to order the Racemettle wheels with splined hubs. They weren't too bad, pricewise compared to a set of 72-spoke wires. They take some time to manufacture and ship, probably because the shop they use to make them takes larger orders with higher priority. I'll send pics when they arrive.

Craig

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

The problem with the alloy wheels is that the splined portion, almost universally done in steel, make the nice alloy wheel weigh more than the equivalent wire wheel.

Aside from looks, there is really no reason to stick with knock off wheels from the performance point of view.